ramshorn snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I have finally figured out that I have ramshorn snails. I'm pretty sure that's it. I can't get a real pic because they're so tiny my camera won't focus on them.

I am wondering if they eat plants? I have had some plants deteriorate lately and I don't know if they're related or not. I'm sure they hitchiked their way into my tank. I'm not against hitchikers unless they are just looking for a free salad bar (ie my water sprite!).

there prob planorbid rams cool with plants, what color though? and what did they hitch on?

The shell seems to be fairly translucent and they look to be a reddish brown sort of colour. Not sure what they hitched on... could have been a few things. Maybe indian fern.

As long as they're not to blame for some of my plant issues.

You should be ok. There are species that do eat plants, but they are not common and you usually have to pay for them. And you would definitely know if they were eating the plants. You'd turn on the lights one morning and a good chunk of plant mass would be gone.
The good news is the common ramshorns are pretty easy to control if you limit the food they get.

ramshorns will not eat plants, unless they are marisa ramshorns.

you can tell if its them eatting, by bite marks, they shouldnt make them deteriorate.

all ramshorns may eat decaying plants though, so dont squish them if you see them chewing on a dead plants

if they are mostly red, you may have the columbian red ramshorn, which is liked by people, but chances are its only part columbian

Back
Top Bottom