Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm going to resist posting stories, that will be for the next rant...maybe next weekend.

'Need help with anything?'
'Yea i'm gonna get this fish (panther grouper)'
'Do you already have a salt setup, how big is the tank? This fish can grow over 15 inches'
'No i'm putting it in this (pointing to eclipse 3 in hand), salt water? How do i make it salt water?'

Petco should not be allowed to sell any fish growing over 6 inches IMO.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburgler
Petco should not be allowed to sell any fish growing over 6 inches IMO.
I AGREE 100% !!! Seeing all the Oscars they sell is bad enough but when I see Red Belly Pacu's at these stores it just makes me shudder !!!

Old 06-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
I'm doing a fishless cycle right now (adding pure ammonia) and I frequent the fish store near my house to see what they have. I was standing looking at a fresh shipment of GBRs yesterday when one of the employees asked me what kind of fish I had. I responded with "none, I'm still cycling my tank." She replied "oh, well how long have you been cycling?". I told her two weeks and she said "it should be done by now, how many goldfish did you put in?" When I told her I was doing a fishless cycle she seemed absolutely baffled and said that I should talk to Jeff, their resident fish expert about it (he actually is VERY good).

I'm guessing when you get hired on as an employee at a pet store there is some kind of training required. I honestly blame the training programs. It would take probably half an hour of training to get an employee up to speed on this stuff. I'm amazed at how inconsistent the information given to the consumers is, and that's where 95% of consumers get their information... the place where they are buying their fish.

Oh well, good work Hamburgler. Teach the public one moron at a time.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:29 AM   #14

Okay ranting on something is healthy for the most part, and we all do it. However dont forget that at one time we were all newbs to this area, and if at that time someone called us a moron for not knowing what to do would of probably made us very upset and not continued on in the hobby. This seems to be something that not only affects fish but a whole lot of others areas aswell. Im sure in some of our professions we can say the same about the general public. I know I can, and am guilty of it. But to just blast on people because they dont know every little intricacy and expect them to be at a certain level right of the bat is kinda unfair to them. However the fact is that we all are trying to teach new hobbyists the right way to do stuff, is good practice and from what I believe, is what this web site is all about.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can't blame the training at petco...there is none, at my store at least. My first day there was on the floor, given i knew the reptile department well.

lemonheadmech, by all means i am not critisizing those who fail to take the proper steps. It was just a rant. When talking to these people i am nothing but polite, i have to be! Although its often difficult.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com