Raphael cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakeandwendy

Aquarium Advice Activist
whats the best habitat for these guys? ours are hiding in their own decorations for now but would they benefit from some driftwood? if so what kind?

Welcome to AA!

Make sure to have caves to provide a place of security for them, lets them get out of the light. Make sure to have no sharp objects that could poke them when out scavenging at night.

Some driftwood has holes in them big enough to provide a hiding place, but make sure its big enough so that they wont be able to get stuck. Look into malaysian driftwood or bogwood.

I've had a rapheal catfish for probably 6 months now and my little guy (4 inches now) has only come out when the lights only a handful of times that I've seen anyway. He spends his day in a cave that's all his :). As soon as the lights go out though I can see his shadows going throughout the tank and around the glass with my pictus's. They are nocturnal so this is to be expected. So in response to your question, even if you did get some driftwood most likely he would rarely come out during the day.

ok thanks guys. the spotted raf comes out and cruises but the striped stays tucked away. i leave food for them when i shut the light out and its always gone when i come back. i really like the guys and it doesnt bother me that i rarely see them. it makes those rare glimpses all the groovier!! i think i'll stick with the decos we've got. both of them have a spot to hunker down in so we'll see!

Back
Top Bottom