Rasbora ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FISH-M0NK3Y

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had 4 of my rasboras in my tank for over a year and 3 of them have a really dark red coloring and there's always been the same 1 with a much duller color. I added 2 more yesterday and they appear to be the duller color too.

I've done so much searching trying to figure out the difference because I know there are a few species that look very similar. The best way I've found to ID is based on the black "splotch" But to me, all of mine look to be the same triangle shape, meaning they should be the same species. To the best of my knowledge these are all Trigonostigma heteromorpha (Harlequin Rasbora)

I do know that they were bought from different stores and each labeled differently, but it's hard to trust any labels at big stores. Is there something I'm missing or what else is causing the different coloration? In the picture, the one on the far left is the dull color I mentioned and one of the new small ones is above it.

I plan to put a large school of these in my 75 gallon and would like to know how I can end up with more of the darker red ones if possible. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7982.jpg
    IMG_7982.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 74
In a laege group you will end up with lighter ones and dark ones. They will change in the group according to who is more dominant. The more dominant ones will have brighter colors.

(y) That is what I was leaning towards myself, it just seemed unusual that in a group of 4 I had 3 that were darker red. And the duller one would often stay to the opposite side of the tank from the others. That could also explain how 1 seems to be getting a darker red. I originally had 5, but the darkest red one died and I think that's when one of the dull ones started darkening up. I will be really curious to see in a group of 40-50 how many end up with the darker coloring.

I'd be interested if anyone else has noticed theirs changing color or the proportion of dark vs light fish.

The females are plumper and have less of a point on the bottom of the triangle I believe. My females were slightly lighter color.

I get most intense coloring in planted tanks with dark substrate and dark background.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom