Rattling Aquaclear Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 AC30s running on my 20 gallon tank. About a month ago I cleaned them out and rinsed off the impellers too. Ever since then they rattle a fair amount and are quite noisy. They were dead silent beforebi cleaned them. Is there a way to make them quiet again?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Seems to be a common problem. Many friends stopped the use of the aqua clear filters do to the noise that just wouldn't go away.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Although I am not familiar with Aquaclear filters I have had this happen before with my canister filters and a Aqueon HoB after cleanings, I found that reseating the impellor or in some case's making sure the housing/lid for impellor was properly locked into place resolved the issue.

My ac70 will rattle. Try putting a little piece of something between the basket and where it meets the intake side. That's where mine was coming from

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dont think its coming from the basket. It still rattles if the basket isnt in the filter

The housing is locked in place. I can try to reseat the impeller next time I clean my tank

Try pressing on the lid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If its the impeller what I do is take the impeller back out and I fill the small hole with Vaseline where it slides over the pin where you insert it until it comes out the other end. works like a charm for me but 1st just try un plugging and plugging back in a couple times. some times that works also

If its the impeller what I do is take the impeller back out and I fill the small hole with Vaseline where it slides over the pin where you insert it until it comes out the other end. works like a charm for me but 1st just try un plugging and plugging back in a couple times. some times that works also

I've tried unplugging them. Usually the rattling will get quieter but doesnt go away entirely. When I used vaseline in the past it was only a temporary fix but I'll try it again.

Use a big glob of vaseline in the bottom of the magnet. You may have to do it more than ones. Took care of pump rattle for me.

I've had this problem too. Tried the Vaseline trick, even silicon grease. Neither one worked for more than 15 minutes. The only thing that cured it was time. Eventually it will get slimed up enough to deaden the sound. It's never been silent though.

+1 to the unplugging and plugging in again. Try it a few times until you get it seated in the right place. I can usually get it so I just hear the rush of the water and maybe a slight rumble that I've just learned to accept.

I run 5 ac ' s and they're all dead silent, like no sound what so ever aside from water hitting water. Have you considered to exchanging it? I have a 20,30,50,70, c4.. all quiet ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most of these HOBs used to have a gasket that was on the impeller that people frequently didn;t see and washed away when they cleaned the impellers. You may have done the same. Check to see if there is one there and see if the filter impeller is supposed to have one. This is a common cause of rattling.
Second most common cause of rattling was a bent impeller pin. Make sure that thing is straight as an arrow. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Most of these HOBs used to have a gasket that was on the impeller that people frequently didn;t see and washed away when they cleaned the impellers. You may have done the same. Check to see if there is one there and see if the filter impeller is supposed to have one. This is a common cause of rattling.
Second most common cause of rattling was a bent impeller pin. Make sure that thing is straight as an arrow. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

+1. If this persists, you may want to get another impeller. The most recent AC50 I bought was noisy. Ended up swapping the impeller out with the existing AC50 (which as silent) and now both of them run near silent.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hope this helps (y)

What does the gasket look like? I'm pretty careful when I clean my filters so idk if I would accidentally lose a piece

Back
Top Bottom