Rays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divater

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi could anyone advise me on rays I want to have a couple of small ones with some freshwater lobster and red claw crabs is this possible haven't got too much time to tend for marine too busy so need a look a like marine but easy maintenance
Many thanks in advance.
Andy.

Simply, no. You can't keep rays with inverts, the inverts will be food. If it is a tiny ray it could be injured or killed by a large crayfish.

Stingrays are about as demanding as it gets in freshwater. They all get relatively large to huge. They need huge tanks with very aggressive water change schedules. You have to pick tankmates extremely carefully, and even then many experienced ray keepers would say no tankmates are truly safe long term. They are probably more work than most marine tanks.

What size tank is tanks?

Be sure they are legal to keep where you live, first. Even the smaller species of rays P. orbignyi will achieve a 14" diameter, thus needing a surface area of at least double that amount. A 180g would suffice for a couple juvenile rays for a while, but I'm afraid you will eventually need to upgrade towards a 500g for proper growout (a 1400g would be minimum housing for a trio of rays under 27") ime.

Back
Top Bottom