RCS compatibility? Thats Red Cherry Shrimp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need the good bad and the ugly on who and what should live with my RCS colony.

Params 10 gallon medium-tech planted. (T5ho cant remeber the wattage but its plenty, DIY CO2, flourish complete i know it has copper but hasnt hurt the other rcs yet, HOB until plants take hold)

HC carpet and r. rotundifolia
eco complete
rocks and dw
50+ colony RCS
random ramshorn
2+ ottos
FISH?????/

I am looking at a small school of something colorful; no neons or glowlights.

help me out i dont know what will eat the RCS

Pretty much any fish with a mouth big enough will at least try to eat them.

Consider:
Tetras (I love rummynose)
Rasboras
Furcata Rainbows
Threadfin Rainbows

I figured as much, how veracious are the rummynose tetras? I know that the glowlights and the neons in my 55 eat pretty much anything smaller than them that moves and isnt covered by a shell (and even then the glowlights will try to eat a floating snail) they keep my guppy fry population in check thats for sure!

So hows about 5 rummynose and 3 Furcata rainbows? The RCS and snails and ottos? You think thatll work?

I would say any cory would be fine....although, I suppose it could possibly snag a baby shrimp from time to time.

What about a school of rosy barbs? I realy want only Red fish and inverts.

um..... well i've read that all fish pick at rcs, then the rcs just hide, lose color, you never see them, then they just die.

If you really want some kind of fish, I would suggest ones that stay towards the top. Like killis or hachets.

If you honestly really wanted the barbs with the rcs go for it, I just wish you the best of luck.

No not dead set on any kind of fish actually... I have decided I want a red color pallete for the fish and invertz. So now I just need to find some matching fish that wont harrass the shrimp to badly. Rummy nose tetras seem to be where i am leaning The barbs were just so nicely colored (the males that is). That what made me think of them.

I see, well rummy noses would like nice, but like I said before most of all fish pick at dwarf shrimp, then they will hide, lose color, you will never see them, and they will just die off. All I can really tell you is to take your chance and do whatever you want, you learn from experiences and all fish have different personalities, you could get some fish that won't bother them, or you might get fish that love them for a cherry flavored snack :D.

I have a heavily planted tank with rummys, threadfin rainbows, and porkchop rasboras along with some shrimp similar to RCS. The adult shrimp do fine but I rarely see a baby shrimp. I know there must be a few survive because I'll see a sub-adult every once in a while.

For a short time (maybe a month) I housed the threadfins in my RCS 10gal tank. I saw no reduction in the amount of RCS babies but I'm sure a least a few must have been eaten. I did see a large reduction in daphina in the tank though.

The only fish I would trust 100% would be ottos.

Thats really what i am looking for. Right now i have a somewhat healthy RCS colony in my 55 gallon community tank. But is planted and they have lots of places to hide. They dont really breed that well and i rarely see berried or saddled females. I am going to get a second strain of RCS and mix them with mine in a carpeted 10gallon along with about 5 rummys thats the plan at least. There wont be a ton of hiding places besides a few rock crevices and a R rotundifolia all the other plants will be very low growing (ie HC).

Just curiuos Peyton, what type of shrimp do you have in your tank?

Petshrimp.com -- All about shrimp

They were sold under the name blueberry shrimp but only the first generation is blue, obviously they are dyed somehow. All later gens are drab looking really. They were in a 20gal by themselves for about a year and absolutely bred like rabbits. I decided to rework the tank and removed as many shrimp as I could find. I guess a couple must have escaped capture because a few months later the there was at least 20-30 of them again.

Okay, I was actually talking to someone about these the other day and how they are artificially colored. I was trying to show the difference between those dyed ones and they blue pearls, which are the same species as snowballs.

Back
Top Bottom