rcs shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platybreeder26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want some red cherry shrimp. But I have a few questions.... Will they eat leftover fish flakes, cause my guppies are the messiest creatures alive, lol and will the shrimp eat sinking pellets where the main ingredient is shrimp? I bought sinking pellets thinking at the time I would get cories, but decided against it and I know have pellets sitting around.

Hey! If you have stable parameters and good water parameter then you could keep these shrimp. I've had mine for about a week now and they're great. Don't be surprised or sad in the beginning if some of them die off. This is normal for shrimp and if you buy a nice big group of shrimp, lets say 15, I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 shrimp die off. I bought 12 and have 1 confirmed death. They do like to hide from you and I rarely see more than 3 or 4 out from the plants. Shrimp are scavengers, and they will eat everything off the bottom of the tank. I got algae wafers for mine and they go nuts every time I drop one in the tank. They are cool shrimp and I would say are great for someone to get started into the more expensive invert side of the hobby. They really do appreciate live plants for cover and to just feed off of. Live plants, stable water parameters and attention are all they really need.

Is the tank cycled, and if so how long as it been established? Are they any fish other than the guppies in the tank?

Neos are easy to care for but it can be a bit difficult to get a group or colony established. Most people encounter deaths the first time around, anywhere from 1 or 2 up to a large percentage. There is also a chance that your guppies might go after the shrimp, even adult-sized shrimp.

Shrimp do not need to be fed daily. They appreciate plants, especially mosses, and things like leaf litter, cholla wood, alder cones, etc.

My RCS eat any thing and everything, including the odd dead fish. As said above, they can be tricky to establish but once breeding, not a difficult task as they multiply like rabbits, the young will establish the colony. The fish will eat some of the young so a good cover of plant and moss is essential. I started with 20, expensive from a fish shop but cheap if you can find someone with a surplus. I now have hundreds and have given loads away to friends. The picture of my tank shows you the type of cover that is ideal, but the shrimp will survive in less of a jungle. Don't lose heart if you don't succeed at first, mine only really took off with the third batch, not enough cover to start with.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440104939.703530.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom