Real Wood/Rock in Aquariums. (Some basic questions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobertsBaby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been researching the use of natural woods in aquariums. Since the start of my fishkeeping I have always looked in awe and wonder at the beautiful natural tanks with root-like wood structures trailing up the side of a tank with large natural rocks dappling the bottom. Having had my 55 gallon tank up for a year and with a second 55 on the way I would like to start looking into slipping away from the fake plants from Petsmart and into the realms of natural tank decoration.

Just a few simple questions: First off, I have heard hugely varied ideas as to what wood is acceptable to put in a tank. I have a bradford pear tree (a type of non-fruit bearing pear tree) in my front yard that I KNOW has never had a drop of pesticide on it. I have used it for my parrot and I know its safe in that sence but would it be safe in my tank? The only thing I've heard about it being ok is on Wikipeida, in which they simply stated 'most fruit bearing trees are safe' and I'm understandbly untrusting of such suggestions and would really apprieate a second opinion.

The last post I made like this on a different fish fourm I was immediately told to go to a LFS and just get something there. The problem is the 'LFS' within 75 miles of my house consist of Petco and Petsmart and they don't exactly have options that would work for me so I am forced to come by things in a slightly different way.

My other question, in regards to rocks, is without a LFS in the area to purchase something like Slate rocks from where would I even start in finding large and medium sized stones that I could use. I know we have some places around that are just huge piles of rocks but would such a place know for sure if the rock is actualy what they say it is?

Thanks so much for everyones help! I know I sound a bit paranoid but I don't want my babies to get hurt!!

(I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place. Its Aquascaping but not planted so I hope I put it in the right spot!)

the thing with wood is you want dead wood prefer with the bark out and been dried with no sap . you also want to go with a hard wood.i have no clue about that tree but i hope thats a start.

you should look into landscaping stores. much better place to buy rock. you can try vinegar on the rock if it bubbles it effects the ph. after that i would put it in a bucket for a week or two make sure it doesnt effect the ph.

I think that your bradford pear tree would would be to soft and eventually rott in your water.

Mg gave some good advice on what type of wood to look out for. I myself prefer the malaysian driftwood that readily sinks.

That's all good and there are plenty of types of wood I'd PREFER to use but the problem I am having is WHERE do I get such?

I ordered my from the online site, pet chauffeur. They were like 6 dollars each, however I just did a search of there site and apparently they do not carry driftwood anymore.

Like someone said above, soft wood will rot. I would suggest going for a hike and look along rivers edge or in water. Then you will see if it floats or sinks. Rocks too (they will probably sink). Some rocks and wood will affect ph so soak in water to find out.

I found some GREAT pieces on ebay that were just what I wanted! Thank you all for your help I would have never thought of it!

Back
Top Bottom