Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #11

Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaxerGun93 View Post
You can also get some Nerite Snails they do a good job at cleaning alot of types of algae. Be aware they are pooping machines!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I have a couple...They barely clean anything.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

While you are waiting for your CO2, you can be dosing Excel or API CO2 Booster (glut). Start with a double dose for two days in a row, then go down to the regular dose. That should help tremendously. If you are going to use strong lights on a small tank, and you want them on for a good number of hours to see the fish, get floating plants to help block out some of the light. Salvinia works great for that.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #13

I really don't have the money right now. I have flourish but not excel.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Then you'll have to cut your light down even further. Some water changes might help, too. You can buy Excel from Drs. Foster and Smith online for really cheap (compared to stores), by the way.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #15

I'll be home today or Saturday. I'll do maybe a 40% change and try to vacuum the algae off the substrate
Old 02-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

With that lighting you have to use a high dose of liquid carbon daily. You can buy a gallon of Metricide 14 Day Solution for around $27 shipped. It's twice the strength of Excel and API CO2 Booster. You need to be dosing 1ml Glut/liquid carbon for every 1 or 2 gallons of water daily.

You also are going to have to start dosing dry ferts so your plants get all the macro and micro nutrients they need. Dry ferts are cheap and last a long time. Run lighting a max of 6 hours or put some screen over the tank which cuts the lighting down. I successfully ran my 100% planted 220g very high light tank for well over a year using only liquid carbon before I added CO2. I kept lighting at 6 hours and had no algae issues. I dosed Glut at 1ml per 1 gallon of tank water.

If you get the Metricide 14 you can use half the amount if you use it straight or dilute it at a 1:1 ratio with RO or distilled water. Be sure to throw away the activator bottle that come with the Glut and if you dilute the Metricide 14 then be sure to store it in an opaque bottle. I actually saved and use old Excel bottles for this.

You can also spot treat the algae with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Turn off the filter, pull up 3ml of peroxide for every 1 gallon of tank water and slowly squirt the algae. Leave the filters off 20 minutes. If you have a lot of algae you might have to treat an area a day. Algae will usually start dying off within 24 hours.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoFish View Post
I have a couple...They barely clean anything.
That's strange mine cleaned everything.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
algae, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com