REALLY colorful fish! Need help ASAP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ej_b1996

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi so I just started stocking my 10 gallon

And I wanted to get some REALLY REALLY colorful fish maybe some with cool designs on the like the dwarf gourami (I had one and I really liked the color designs but I didn't like how it was shy so please help me fine one that is just as pretty but not as shy)
And preferably bigger than 2" please so avg. around 3"?
Please help me??
I really want I start stocking my tank ASAP

Thanks!!

And I wanted to get some REALLY REALLY colorful fish maybe some with cool designs on the like the dwarf gourami (I had one and I really liked the color designs but I didn't like how it was shy so please help me fine one that is just as pretty but not as shy)
Please help me??

Thanks!!

With a ten gallon you're pretty limited stocking wise, especially if you're wanting fish larger than 2". What else do you have in the tank? Maybe check out endlers livebearers or endlers guppys, I know you're probably not wanting guppys but check them out, they would do okay in your tank, they're at the 2.5" mark or so and you'd be hard pressed to find a more colorful fish

I love my Celestial Pearl Danios. Small but very pretty. Like little trout :)

A little more advanced than guppies, need plants to have hiding spots.

Most larger fish will poop too much for a small tank or need more room to swim.

oooh! a species only tank of tetras would be really nice, very chic! In my opinion anyway ;)

Well right now I have a couple ghost shrimp

One velvet wag swordtail and one dwarf gourami
But ill probably be returning the dwarf gourami because its too shy (great looking though)

And I've heard of shelldwellers but what are they? Don't know much about them

Also, this is completely off topic but I just got my swordtail and I was wondering
How much poop should I expect from them because I noticed that this male has been pooping A LOT
And it kind of hangs from him and longest I've seen was 1"
Is this normal or is this some kind of parasite?
And when it hangs he acts REALLY weird
He would wiggle a lot or he would look like he having a hard time breathing
Is this normal?

Well right now I have a couple ghost shrimp

One velvet wag swordtail and one dwarf gourami
But ill probably be returning the dwarf gourami because its too shy (great looking though)

And I've heard of shelldwellers but what are they? Don't know much about them

Also, this is completely off topic but I just got my swordtail and I was wondering
How much poop should I expect from them because I noticed that this male has been pooping A LOT
And it kind of hangs from him and longest I've seen was 1"
Is this normal or is this some kind of parasite?
And when it hangs he acts REALLY weird
He would wiggle a lot or he would look like he having a hard time breathing
Is this normal?

He may have parasites or be constipated. A 10g is really too small for a Swordtail. They need 20g at least.

Oh alright thank you!

Anyways going back to stocking it haha
Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Swordtails are good waste-producers; that and their large size makes them need a larger tank than a 10 gal I'm afraid. I'd return the gourami if you don't like it and the sword and start over.

With a 10 gal you're limited to smaller fish though. if you like "larger" fish, consider a single betta. They are gorgeous and have tons of personality when given the right size tank (it may or may not tolerate your shrimp though, it'll depend on the bettas personality). Other than that you're pretty limited to a few guppies or a couple of platy in terms of "larger" fish for a 10 gal.

Please help me??

Thanks!!

I understand you want larger fish but a 10 gallon is really more suited to nano fish and other small guys. Scarlet badis, sparkling gourami, licorace gourami, endlers, any microrabora, and a bunch of other small frys would be best.

I have a betta already in a separate 1/2 gallon tank and when I put him in with my shrimp he didn't really care haha

I heard that I can put one electric yellow cichlid all alone in the 10 gallon is this correct?

And also, if I were to put it let's say 3-5 female bettas would I still be able to put in other fish without having to worry about the bettas aggression?

I have a betta already in a separate 1/2 gallon tank and when I put him in with my shrimp he didn't really care haha

I heard that I can put one electric yellow cichlid all alone in the 10 gallon is this correct?

And also, if I were to put it let's say 3-5 female bettas would I still be able to put in other fish without having to worry about the bettas aggression?

Electric yellow is a big no. And as for your betta, is the half gallon tank. A bowl? Heater, filtered?

A 10 gallon is too small for the cichlid. Also 3-5 bettas would be too much.

1/2 gallon has heater but no filter but I do a 75% WC weekly

But I'm just saying for the 3-5 bettas in general
Would I be able to put in other tank mates without having to worry about aggression from the bettas?

1/2 gallon has heater but no filter but I do a 75% WC weekly

But I'm just saying for the 3-5 bettas in general
Would I be able to put in other tank mates without having to worry about aggression from the bettas?
No the 3-5 bettas wont fit in the tank alone.

No I mean of I were to have a bigger tank

Would I have to worry about their temper?

I understand you want larger fish but a 10 gallon is really more suited to nano fish and other small guys. Scarlet badis, sparkling gourami, licorace gourami, endlers, any microrabora, and a bunch of other small frys would be best.

Love the scarlet badis, and regular badis. Betta and dwarf versions of already "dwarf" fish, lol. There are more on the market every day!!

No I mean of I were to have a bigger tank

Would I have to worry about their temper?
Oh I dont know. Female bettas can be tricky.
Love the scarlet badis, and regular badis. Betta and dwarf versions of already "dwarf" fish, lol. There are more on the market every day!!
I know I love them! Check out the crocodile toothpick! I cant spell the scientific name but it is a stickleback under an inch!

Back
Top Bottom