Really?! Seriously?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsgracia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just came from Petco and saw a father and son buying a male and female betta, .5 gallon with divider bowl, some pebbles. Cashier didn't say anything. Son asked "can we not put the divider so they can be together?" dad answered "OK" I tried to tell them they shouldn't put them together because they will fight. Also that their bowl is too small for two and suggested a ten gallon and just one fish. The father and the cashier shrugged while the kid looked at me crazy. Poor little pretty bettas.

If the store truly cared they wouldn't be selling that size tank with a divider. Unfortunately I doubt it will do anything.

I'm wondering if contacting PETA might be a more effective way to start getting fish care thought of a little more.

Talked to the customer in front of the "fish expert/cashier" and she just shrugged me off and smiled.

thats the way they like it... think about it the kid gets it home couple days latter one of the fish dies and/or they talk to a friend that has a tank, they get informed a little then "if" the dad isn't heartless goes and buys the kid a 10 gallon. now petco sold 2 tanks off 2 little fish. If the guy is like anyone else that gets a 10 gallon and loves it he will buy a 50 gallon soon enough. Is it the right way to do it? nope but most people would not fork out 100+ bucks for a 10 gallon tank that is set up right for 2 fish on a whim. not trying to sound like an *** but its the sad truth

This is yet another reason I stay clear of the bigger chain stores whenever possible. I prefer to order equipment if its economical, and buy fish from individuals, smaller shops, or order them. I have a hard time not saying anything to people, but at the same time, I don't want to disrespect the employees who are just there working. Is it right that they are not educated enough most of the time? No. Is it their fault? No.

Ack. I see this a lot around here.
My thought is this:
Why in god's name would you buy a kid a fish? We've all (most of us) had fish as a kid that lived for 2 days and died. Why would you put your kid through that unless you were experienced with aquariums? Fish aren't cuddly, they're not "cute" in the typical sense, they don't play, and they're expensive. In my opinion, worst idea for a kid's pet ever. Unless, like I said, you are experienced with fish.

Also, I hate PETA. Just saying. I'm a vegetarian, have been for 10 years, and even went through a 3 year period of veganism. Since PETA has a bad rap, even with veggies and animal lovers, I doubt many people would be inclined to listen to a thing they have to say.

Also, I hate PETA. Just saying. I'm a vegetarian, have been for 10 years, and even went through a 3 year period of veganism. Since PETA has a bad rap, even with veggies and animal lovers, I doubt many people would be inclined to listen to a thing they have to say.

I agree. I've been vegetarian for 5 years. It seems as a right of passage you have to check out PETA. Sure, they've got good intentions. But they're crazy, and evil, lol. They make all vegetarians look crazy.

Hahaha exactly!
This board has too many cool people on it. Man, this has me thinking about putting a betta in the 10g that's cycling.

And also correction, I was thinking about it a lot last night and actually looked at the Petco website and it's a 0.36 gallon not a 0.5. I swear why work at a pet shop if you don't know anything about the pets your selling.

I was thinking about getting a 10 gallon too and put a betta and some Kerri tetras in it. Maybe even make it planted I just dot know if bettas are ok with plants.

This is what PETA thinks:
Fish in Tanks? No, Thanks! | PETA.org

Apparently it used to be really bad. But they revised it. It said stuff like "fish are doomed to live in plastic bags."

I think it still is really bad. That "fish are doomed" quote is still in there. If these are the people advocating for fish rights then I can understand why we're still in the dark ages on that subject. What I saw was holier-then-thou fire and brimstone nonsense with a liberal sprinkling of truth. They make a few good points, but those are lost in the need to vilify all aquarium keepers.

Then at the end of the article, this really got me, (laugh or cry, I laughed, feels better), they start trying to tell aquarists how to look after fish. They've probably already angered and lost anyone who really cares about fish at this point in the article, but I think their knowledge and credibility is display when they said:
you should check with a fish supply store for information that is specific to the type of fish that you are keeping

So after all their ranting and raving, they tell you to go ask a fish store on how to raise your fish... :eyes:

This reminds me of my conversation w/ the cashier at Petsmart the other day.

I went up to the checkout lane and handed her the container w/ the Betta then handed her the bag w/ the 2 African Dwarf Frogs. Immediately, she gave me the deer-in-the-headlight look and asked, "you're not planning on putting these together, are you?". I replied, "yes, they're going in a cycled 10 gallon tank, why?" She then replied w/, "Bettas are suppose to be alone in a tank, in fact, you should never put another Betta in w/ another Betta". She continued to go on, and on, and on, and on, /sigh/ and on about her 'expertise' w/ Bettas.

I finally had enough and said, "yes, that is true about Bettas and that they will kill each other, however, you can have African Dwarf Frogs in the tank w/ a Betta... trust me, I did my research". I didn't want to argue w/ her, but I also made it clear that I wasn't new to fishkeeping and that I had an established 55 gallon tank, as well.

She paused for a moment, then piped up, "well that's cool, I didn't know that... I think I will add a few w/ my Betta at home". I then asked, "what size tank do you have the Betta in?" She replied w/, "oh he's just in a small fish bowl... I just got him and he is so neat!". After hearing that, I wanted to bang my head against the nearest hard surface!! lol I told her that it wasn't adviseable to add ADF's to a fish bowl and that her Betta should be put in a bigger tank w/ a heater and a filter. She, in turn, gave me a mean look, I paid for my stuff, and we left.

It just boggles my mind!!! lol

I think it still is really bad. That "fish are doomed" quote is still in there. If these are the people advocating for fish rights then I can understand why we're still in the dark ages on that subject. What I saw was holier-then-thou fire and brimstone nonsense with a liberal sprinkling of truth. They make a few good points, but those are lost in the need to vilify all aquarium keepers.

Then at the end of the article, this really got me, (laugh or cry, I laughed, feels better), they start trying to tell aquarists how to look after fish. They've probably already angered and lost anyone who really cares about fish at this point in the article, but I think their knowledge and credibility is display when they said:

So after all their ranting and raving, they tell you to go ask a fish store on how to raise your fish... :eyes:

Ah, I see. Not too helpful then.

It reminds me a little of greenpeace. I used to be a donator, every month. Until I saw a piece on power production in their newsletter where they were complaining about everything from wind turbines to nuclear power and everything inbetween. It was then that I figured out they are idiots who don't want the human race to produce any power by any means. They had something bad to say about everything and want us all to live in caves... So I withdrew my sponsorship.

My eyes were wide and my mouth was open reading that whole thing. It's ridiculous. I kind of laughed at the lfs thing. Anyone knows here that most lfs won't give you correct info. I just... My mind is boggled.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Yeah, I've learned to just be prepared when I enter a LFS to not need to ask an employee anything. When people come in and say their fish are dying, the employees don't know what questions to ask unless they are seasoned fish owners themselves. People will forever buy fish and bowls that are too small, not do their own research first, buy imcompatible species, etc. etc. It's because my childhood fish did so poorly that as an adult I decided to make sure I did it right this time!

I love to research. When our horse had her colt two years ago, I was asking questions that the vet students with our vet didn't even know what I was talking about. I've always been one to research, and that's why I'm gonna do this right, because I LOVE LOVE LOVE to research.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I've learned the hard way to take everything the lfs says with a grain of salt. Every time I go in to check out their fish I walk out feeling terrible for all the fish in those tanks (especially the bettas they keep in the equivalent on solo cups). I just want to rescue them all lol!

Oh, (to add), like many of you, I never ask the LFS clerks about anything, (I learned this a long time ago). I just go there, buy what I need and come on here if I have any questions. (y)

I was irritated by that clerk though. The whole time we were going back and forth, a friend of ours just happened to walk in the store and was witnessing all that stuff. I was a bit embarrassed that I had to correct the clerk in front of our friend, (along w/ my husband). Normally, I would have just disregarded her "advice" and left out my advice to her, but she was a bit "snotty" about it and I didn't want to be the one looking like the idiot. ;) lol

I'm looking to get a job at petsmart or petco soon you guys, and I will certainly be the only well educated fish seller there.
And I'm nineteen lol.
I'm not going to lie to people just to get extra money, or just be ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom