Rebuilding fishroom... follow our progress here :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Running? Probably 30 or so. Not running? 80+, so we have plenty of options for fishroom setup this second time around.

Kinda funny, you can see my reflection in the photo above, it shows how much taller these setups are than I am (I am 5'8"). That stool in the photo is gonna be my BFF for gravel vacs on the top row. :p

Last edited:
Running? Probably 30 or so. Not running? 80+, so we have plenty of options for fishroom setup this second time around.

Jeez, that's a lot of tanks! It's good that you have the options though. When do are you hoping to have the fish room completed and ready for fish?

Jeez, that's a lot of tanks! It's good that you have the options though. When do are you hoping to have the fish room completed and ready for fish?

Great question! I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out... lol.

Just kidding. Sorta. We have some fish and shrimp currently in the fishroom. That's why we couldn't tear down everything all at once. We are going to be working on some wooden racks this weekend. I can't put an estimate on how long it will take us to get done with all the racks and tank cleaning, and re-setting up, but we're just going to do as much as we can do without rushing through the build like we did last time. :)

We have light! Except for the top left tank because we still need to fix it.
img_2677812_0_7cba782abfa78f34ae4db7468474d9c5.jpg

Also, we got started on a rack for 12 ten gallon tanks. We should be able to finish it up tomorrow.
img_2677812_1_0f8f8c79fe9ff9a76fd4035a137a25bf.jpg

Looking good. You guys should be able to stock an amazing assortment once you get these all up and running.

I live the concept of a fish room. From the pictures it looks like lots of tank stacked on top if each other. But what is the massive gram made of that holds it all together?

Well, we have some metal racks in there still, but those are going to come down and will be replaced with wooden racks as we can get them built.

If you mean our large systems, they are made out of glass with plastic frames (not weight bearing) on the outside. From looking at the systems, we assumed it would be like moving 6 75 gallon tanks. It was NOT AT ALL like moving 75 gallon tanks. The glass on these is thicker, I believe, and there is more of it because the sides and backs are taller than regular 75s. They are very heavy and even with 4 people, it was extremely difficult to get them moved and placed.

And we have our first wooden rack up! It holds 12 ten gallon tanks. This is the first rack we have ever built so it is not perfect, but it's plenty strong enough to hold the tanks. When in doubt, over engineer! Haha

ForumRunner_20131007_210348.jpg

And we have our first wooden rack up! It holds 12 ten gallon tanks. This is the first rack we have ever built so it is not perfect, but it's plenty strong enough to hold the tanks. When in doubt, over engineer! Haha

You could paint the rack. What wood did you use ?

2x4s from home Depot. We thought about painting the wood, but decided against it. There is too much to do already with all the building that needs to happen. It's function over aesthetics.

The next rack we are going to build will hold 8 20 gallon tanks.

It's water change time in the fishroom, because we came home with a bunch of new fish from the local club auction last night.

ForumRunner_20131014_170333.jpg

We bought nothing but cichlids and a couple of plants, along with a few dry goods items. Fish pics coming in a bit...

Here are some of the fish we picked up... most are still pretty uncooperative for picture time.

Dicrossus filamentosus proven pair
img_2686722_0_280768e220ac29402cb974ac6bd50c76.jpg

Xystichromis phytophagus Christmas fulu
img_2686722_1_f6c652b90106f298a0190bb119886254.jpg

img_2686722_2_15d25aeb6c39b2cdf2888c5cad3a3efb.jpg

Labidochromis hongi red top
img_2686722_3_81375126c5c0e0ddfcff62e1fad6c4c1.jpg

img_2686722_4_6bbc206b0aee467992fe6e7621500e96.jpg

Otopharynx lithobates 1M/3F
img_2686722_5_417211eaa64f2e14269a9f66e46428b9.jpg

HUGE proven pair Bolivian rams
img_2686722_6_22f944d11885d47c5c9ddedf7f53be94.jpg

Other fish we picked up are a BIG wild pair of Apisto agassizi, 4 of the biggest leleupi I have ever seen, young Apisto hongsloi, young Dicrossus filamentosus, adult pair Paralabidochromis chromogynos 'Zue Island', Apisto rupununi pair, more multies to add to our colony, and some more RCS.

*edit* I forgot about our apisto alacrina fry! We got a bag of those too. :)

Last edited:
Well, hubs and I are on the Board of Directors for the Atlanta FW club, so we always know the details well before the event. LOL. There are lots of areas that have a fish club within driving distance. You could try going to a meeting, or see if there is a club around you that has a forum. I may be able to help you find a club if you shoot me a PM (lots of people wouldn't want to post personal info publicly, that's understandable).

2x4s from home Depot. We thought about painting the wood, but decided against it. There is too much to do already with all the building that needs to happen. It's function over aesthetics.

The next rack we are going to build will hold 8 20 gallon tanks.

Personally I would think about taking the time to paint or at least seal them. If you don't every time you spill during a water change or when removing or adding fish that raw lumber will absorb water. Eventually, they will be all swollen and you will end up having to replace them. Even the humidity will add to the issue with raw lumber.

All the lumber used is pressure treated.

Our first rack of 20 gallon high tanks is finished! HN1 made most of the cuts Friday. Saturday, it rained quite a bit so we weren't able to get any work done on it (since our garage is now a fishroom, we build stuff in the driveway). Yesterday we got everything assembled, foam put on the shelves, and most of the tanks moved over that needed to move. Tonight we finished moving tanks. We still have a few things on the metal rack, but it's to the point where I can at least tear down half of the metal rack. Once that is done, we are hoping to put up four 55 gallon tanks (2 racks of 2 tanks).

On the way for us are a group of purple fire guppies, some yellow shrimp, and a couple of Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' females that will hopefully cozy up to the male we have. Exciting week!

Pic from tonight (and a photobomb from my Boo):

img_2694260_0_affb3257b2a4a7fc046b502c9412d199.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom