Reco for algae eater ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Some advice would be great

I'm starting to see small patches and streaks of brown algae growth on the walls of my two month old 26 gallon bowfront tank - not too wide of a footprint ... About as wide as it is tall. I'm thinking about an algae eating fish (stick to the wall type) to help me keep it under control. What do you think are my options in this regard?

Current tank inhabitants include
-3 junior sized mollies
-9 neon tetras

Have PLENTY of filtration on this tank. Aqeon 10 & 30 plus a 4x4 sponge filter. Thoughts are welcomed!! Thanks in advance.

ccross said:
+1 I love my BN Pleco. He has more personality than all my other fish :)

Hmm thanks. I've heard good things about them. I need to research. Do they get big or need a school? Not sure how much room I've got left in the 26g...

Also, what about Otos? Good algae eaters? What about size and schooling?

Hmm thanks. I've heard good things about them. I need to research. Do they get big or need a school? Not sure how much room I've got left in the 26g...
They stay max 5 inches and do not school.
Also, what about Otos? Good algae eaters? What about size and schooling?
They are sensitive and supposedly only eat certain types of algae. 2 inches max and like to school.

What you re seeing is diatoms. They are very common in new tanks. They feed on silicates and when the food source runs out they die. They are harmless, just an eyesore. Buying something to eat them will result in the fish/invert running out of food once they are gone. in the case of Ottos they are hard to supplement once this happens. My advise is to wait it out. They will go away on their own.

GodFan said:
They stay max 5 inches and do not school.

They are sensitive and supposedly only eat certain types of algae. 2 inches max and like to school.

Awesome thanks godfan

Mumma.of.two said:
What you re seeing is diatoms. They are very common in new tanks. They feed on silicates and when the food source runs out they die. They are harmless, just an eyesore. Buying something to eat them will result in the fish/invert running out of food once they are gone. in the case of Ottos they are hard to supplement once this happens. My advise is to wait it out. They will go away on their own.

Ok...I've got some googling to do... Is a diatom a type of algae or something? Silicates?

Ponch said:
Ok...I've got some googling to do... Is a diatom a type of algae or something? Silicates?

Yes, a type of algae. It's not an on going thing unless you have silicates in your water source. I've had new tanks covered on every available surface clear by themselves in a matter of weeks.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes, a type of algae. It's not an on going thing unless you have silicates in your water source. I've had new tanks covered on every available surface clear by themselves in a matter of weeks.

Ok - Will keep an eye on this. Thanks.

Mumma - any thoughts on whether a BN pleco could fit into my tank based on size / inhabitant list in the op?

One BN should be fine. Keep an eye on your params as the mollies get bigger. Both are known to be high waste producers. IME younger BN will eat just algae but as they grow they like/need more variety like beans, peas, shrimp pellets, etc.

Mumma.of.two said:
One BN should be fine. Keep an eye on your params as the mollies get bigger. Both are known to be high waste producers. IME younger BN will eat just algae but as they grow they like/need more variety like beans, peas, shrimp pellets, etc.

Good to know... Ive been kicking around the idea of another fish for the tank since I'm not quite fully stocked. BN sounds like a serious contender since they pull their weight with clean-up duty

Back
Top Bottom