Recommend a Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
In another thread (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/amano-shrimp-157539.html) I heard that Amano shrimp couldn’t eat algae off aquarium walls. So, it looks like I need a snail. If I’m going to get a snail, I have some requirements. Please let me know which species meet all of these criteria:

- Good at eating and cleaning up algae
- Not hermaphroditic
- Does not lay many eggs around aquarium
- At least somewhat common

Nerite snail:)

-Very common
-Don't lay eggs unless you have a male and a female
-Not hermaphroditic
-VERY good at cleaning up algae
-Can only reproduce in brackish water.

there are several species including olive, zebra and red-spotted. they're all really common and very pretty..

Actually, a Nerite will lay white eggs on the aquarium wall but they will not hatch in a freshwater tank.

How about a regual mystery snail. Comes in all sorts of colors (white, blue, purple, brown...) and there pretty fun to watch..

Or if u want to get the algea of walls, just get a pleco (depending on ur taNk size) id say a bristle nose, albino bn, and smaller varietys like that :) much better than a snail.
Cleans better
A bit messy, but worth the trouble
Won't lay eggs with just one
Won't eat your other fish

Mystery snails aren't great cleaners. Bristlenose are cool, but they're a lot more messy than nerite snails. Nerite eggs can be scraped off the glass easily with a razor blade. I'd recommend them for sure for eating algae off glass.

Actually, a Nerite will lay white eggs on the aquarium wall but they will not hatch in a freshwater tank.
I had heard this about nerites, and that’s why I’m not sure they’re for me. I’m not sure how much sense it makes to spend time scraping off snail eggs when the point of the snail was to avoid scraping off algae.

Or if u want to get the algea of walls, just get a pleco (depending on ur taNk size) id say a bristle nose, albino bn, and smaller varietys like that much better than a snail.
This tank is too small for a pleco: it is a 5-gallon Betta tank. Obviously, therefore, my options are quite limited.

Here's my best recommendation- Best_Glass_Cleaner
Yeah, but that’s no fun!

So... will anything work for my needs?

The eggs go away after a few days with new ones appearing...I am not sure if the fish eat them or what? The do not remain very long, the just reappear some place different or wherever the snail goes.

i have 1 zebra nerite snail (previously 2) and neither of them ever layed any eggs and do an excellent job of cleaning the algae off the glass. plus i love seeing their mouths and teeth(?) on the glass. its hilarious! very fun, and easy to care for.

Back
Top Bottom