recommendations: Cardinal Tetra school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gd007

Aquarium Advice Activist
Once I am done my fishless cycle (likely XMas) I have my heart set out on a school of ~12 Cardinal Tetra in my planted 55 gal.
Couple questions:
1) any recommendations on where I should purchase? Just ask my lfs to order some in? Certain webpage? Anyone here?
2) any helpful hints?
3) good tank mates?
4) bad tank mates?

Thanks!!

A really good place that is fairly close to you is thatfishplace.com. I like their fish because they are always healthy. Even though they are a little more because of shipping, I have a horrible wholesaler that is the only one who serves our area fish stores (out of Oklahoma City) whose fish are always diseased. I'd go with a school of 20-25 for a 55g.
OS.

A really good place that is fairly close to you is thatfishplace.com. I like their fish because they are always healthy.

Ahh , yes I forgot about that place!! It is a bit of a drive but worth it.

What are you thoughts on a group of Boeseman's Rainbowfish as well?
-GD

A 4 foot tank is what I always recommend for Boesemani rainbows so yes, your 55 gallon is good. I'd keep a group of 6-8; these get fairly large and are very active swimmers. They are peaceful and should do fine with cardinal tetras.

here is what I am thinking based on feedback so far

OK so here is what I am thinking:
14 Cardinal Tetra
5 Boesemani Rainbows
4 Sailfin Mollys (1M:3F)
4 Fancy Guppies (1M:3F)
5 Panda Corys
5 Amano Shrimp
lots of MTS...from live plants

Stats are saying:
Recommended temperature range: 77 - 80.6 F
Recommended pH range: 6.4 - 7.5
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH (I don't know how to measure this?!?)

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 122%.
Recommended water change schedule: 42% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 129%.

Image of tank attached. I am planning on hardy plants, floating plants for fry, and space for the mid-level swimmers to roam around.

I am banking on the Amano Shrimp, Panda Corys, and the free MTS to keep the algae down.

I am still doing the fishless cycle (4ppm Ammonia is my base). While it is technical possible to add all the fish at once when done I do not think I will for various reasons including $$ and fish availability.

What order should I add them? I was going to wait on the shrimps for ~6 months - another member suggested the biofilm needs to build up and ~6 months was the recommendation and that seemed to make sense.

Thoughts?
BTW - how do you measure hardness? I own the API Master Kit for the other essentials.

Thanks,
-GD_007

Attachments

• tank_12.5.2013.jpg
    tank_12.5.2013.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 84
I'd go with a school of 20-25 for a 55g.
OS.

That would be excellent! I tried those numbers with the other fish I'm thinking about and i'd be overstocked by the #s.
The most I can do are 14 unless I start to swap out (i.e. 1 gupppy = 2 cardinals ;) )

A 4 foot tank is what I always recommend for Boesemani rainbows so yes, your 55 gallon is good. I'd keep a group of 6-8; these get fairly large and are very active swimmers. They are peaceful and should do fine with cardinal tetras.

Great feedback, thanks! I did some additional research and I'm thinking I will have to go with 5 so that I can get the other fish (such as panda corys - who also require a school) I was thinking about.

I'm not even 7 days into my fishless cycle and I'm wanting a bigger tank... bad sign ;)

Have you thought about switching the boesmanis out with praecox rainbows? This would give you more stocking room for the tetras.

Have you thought about switching the boesmanis out with praecox rainbows? This would give you more stocking room for the tetras.

Those are really nice looking and a good suggestion. They won't look like much in the store but they're beautiful once they get settled in.

Those are really nice looking and a good suggestion. They won't look like much in the store but they're beautiful once they get settled in.

+1 when I bought my school their bodies were a grey color and now the males have developed a nice blue sheen and swim around flashing to the females.

If remove the mollies then you could add more tetras. They have a fairly large bioload.

Just wanted to say thanks to those that have been helping me. I am very excited to share that my first group of fish should arrive today (from thatfishplace.com). I purchased the 5 Boesemani Raindows and the 6 Panda Corys.

Back
Top Bottom