recommendations for filter cause mine is naff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loubeardy

Aquarium Advice Activist
today I noticed that my tank was a murky brown... for a new tank I didn't expect this ? it isn't my bog wood as I soaked them for two weeks and boiled them.too. I cleaned my gravel and my rocks. so in stuck in a second filter (tiny one that came with my quaretine tank) and ran that along side my current filter. the water is clearing... I can see a difference in 30 minutes. I can only think that my main filter is poo! haha so does anyone have a good recommendation for a quiet (it's in my room next to my bed so has to be quiet) and will keep my tank clean? (with a flow not too strong for a betta).

lou...

Research sponge filters. They're inexpensive, easy to clean, need no filter media and run quietly. All you need in addition to the filter, is an air pump and a length of plastic tubing. The whole set up is roughly $30.00.

B

lou...

Research sponge filters. They're inexpensive, easy to clean, need no filter media and run quietly. All you need in addition to the filter, is an air pump and a length of plastic tubing. The whole set up is roughly $30.00.

B
sounds.promising :) will do. how long would it have to run for before it can turn my current.l filter off (to build up the bacteria in the new one)

AquaClear filters are awesome! I have one and I love it and it's completely silent.

What's the size of your aquarium? Also, what's your budget? There's a billion fish tank filters out there, many of them are good... Have a look here, hopefully it helps https://fishtankclub.com/best-fish-tank-filter/

I own a crappy knock-off brand canister filter and it's doing the job amazingly now. If you have a larger aquarium, consider investing into a canister. If you want something smaller, my friend is running an Aquaclear HOB and it's keeping the water crystal clean on a 25 gal.

AquaClear filters are awesome! I have one and I love it and it's completely silent.
I have a 22 litre / 5 gallon. money isn't an issue really. I forked out on a hydra filter which is meant to be the new thing... it isn't bacterial, it uses two metal plates which it send electrodes through to eliminate ammonia and nitrite. I have never had an ammonia or nutrients spike... even in a brand new tank. so on the front it does amazingly... however it does not clean the wayer of debris so my tank just looks horrible :( I can't understand why though. I do regular water changes, I don't over feed my betta and I only have 3 plants (plus two loss balls) so I haven't got any organic material from those. yet it is still murky :/

...so does anyone have a good recommendation for a quiet (it's in my room next to my bed so has to be quiet) and will keep my tank clean? (with a flow not too strong for a betta).

Aquaclears are great, though they *can* be noisy if the lid vibrates or the impeller is settling in after a cleaning. How big is the tank? You might have to turn down the flow for the betta. (I had an AC 20 on a 10g and had to do that for the betta.)

EDIT: Missed where you already answered my question. For a 5g, I agree with the other poster that a sponge filter might be your best bet.

There is a small hob called a mignon 60. You should be able to find it for less than 20 bucks on amazon. Good low flow filter suitable for a small betta tank

I looked at the aquaclear...bit I can't find a store in the UK that sells. bit noticed it was fluval filter so I went for a fluval after reading some reviews. the sponges was a good idea but concerned it would be loud (although haven't ruled it out entirely...).
what I don't get it why are all small filters (for 50 litres/10 gallons or less) don't come with a biological or chemical media... why isn't it needed?

Back
Top Bottom