Recommended helper fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd have to disagree about a cuc especially in the case of shrimp, since they will clean a lot more than they ever leave behind. AES (amano) in particular will go after anything from algae, food or poop, so their impact on the total bioload of tank actually creates a negative effect if you will, due to the minuscule output (vs intake) as opposed to a pleco, or oto that adds positive effect, or large amount to the bioload (no matter the intake). I also don't have to (or rather won't) supplement the feeding of my (minimal) shrimp population since I want them hungry and going after every molecule of detritus they can scavenge, whereas a pleco (et al) needs wafers to get a balanced diet or it suffers/dies IMO/E.

As for the algae itself? Welcome to the real world, it is part of a nature and IMO the lack of it shows an unnatural balance (as was pointed out), since it can be found in every freshwater environment (I've ever been in/seen anyways) in one fashion or another.

Which is why opinions are like backsides, everyone has one. Seems like you missed the point with regards to what I was getting at. The point is people buy fish for the wrong reasons to overcome issues like overfeeding and algae.

HUKIT said:
Which is why opinions are like backsides, everyone has one. Seems like you missed the point with regards to what I was getting at. The point is people buy fish for the wrong reasons to overcome issues like overfeeding and algae.

But as stated above, not all algae can be avoided

You're right about that first part and some are worthless. Actually I was correcting your point, which is algae is part of the eco-sphere and trying to deny it is futile. Every segment of nature has some kind of clean up crew, simple as that.

You're right about that first part and some are worthless. Actually I was correcting your point, which is algae is part of the eco-sphere and trying to deny it is futile. Every segment of nature has some kind of clean up crew, simple as that.

I don't think HUKIT was denying algae as part of the ecosystem in the tank, you guys are writing into his statement. His very simple point was that adding fish will never solve problems, they must be dealt with at their source.

I don't think HUKIT was denying algae as part of the ecosystem in the tank, you guys are writing into his statement. His very simple point was that adding fish will never solve problems, they must be dealt with at their source.

Well I'm glad someone here can read, I thought my statement was fairly self explanatory. But Limpet needed get to the last word in as usual.

Also just wanted to add that the idea of a fish/invert creating a 'negative effect' on bioload is silly. Just because shrimp pick through fish poop doesn't mean that they are making wastes disappear. They might help by further processing some waste, but it has to go somewhere, and I'm willing to bet it's impact is minimal at best, and definitely not negative.
If the shrimp are kept hungry then that means the fish are likely to be kept hungry as well, since the fish feeding trickles down to the shrimp. And if the fish are kept hungry then they are going to be taking chunks out of the shrimp, just give it time.

Adding fish most certainly can have a negative effect on the bioload, especially when the filtration and maintenance schedule are not up to par, your never heard of a bioload that can't be handled by the biofilter resulting in excess ammonia? I'm sure you can look for post after post regarding what's the best plec for my 10g, while I'll admit that statement was pointed more towards new fishkeepers but still holds true for all of us.

HUKIT said:
Adding fish most certainly can have a negative effect on the bioload, especially when the filtration and maintenance schedule are not up to par, your never heard of a bioload that can't be handled by the biofilter resulting in excess ammonia? I'm sure you can look for post after post regarding what's the best plec for my 10g, while I'll admit that statement was pointed more towards new fishkeepers but still holds true for all of us.

Please don't hurt me if I'm wrong, but I think they're using "negative" as in adding shrimp will reduce the bioload.

I'm not sure if its even possible to reduce a bioload without removing fish. But I'm not an expert by any means.

i was just wondering what fish would help with algae not to make it so i dont have to do anything and stop cleaning the algae but just to help with it.

Panda.moanium said:
Please don't hurt me if I'm wrong, but I think they're using "negative" as in adding shrimp will reduce the bioload.

I'm not sure if its even possible to reduce a bioload without removing fish. But I'm not an expert by any means.

With the shrimp, they were saying that the shrimp takes away from the bioload because the shrimp don't produce a lot of waste, but they can clean a lot.

kathleen55 said:
i was just wondering what fish would help with algae not to make it so i dont have to do anything and stop cleaning the algae but just to help with it.

I think its the siamese algae eaters that stay small. Not sure how small though. For a 10 gallon I would probably just through in a couple snails.

i have a red tailed shark that is very good at scavenging left over flake food etc and any alge that grows on my driftwood. I still have to feed him alge waffers and blanched cucumber etc as they can get aggressive if under fed. Also red tailed sharks have been known to attack other fish that have simular colors etc as them so keep that in mind when selecting tank mates. Red tailed sharks will get about 4"-5" max in length.

One of the benefits of my red tailed shark is that he scares my Serpae Tetra and Neon Tetra's in to shoaling, which IMHO is a beautiful way to view your fish. So i have two nice shoals of fish swimming around with my red tailed shark roaming around in between. If i look hard enough i can see my red cherry shrimp cleaning as well.

I still preform weekly tank cleaning and water changes though, has this maintance will help with keeping your fish from getting sick with fin rot etc due to bad water.

i have a red tailed shark that is very good at scavenging left over flake food etc and any alge that grows on my driftwood. I still have to feed him alge waffers and blanched cucumber etc as they can get aggressive if under fed. Also red tailed sharks have been known to attack other fish that have simular colors etc as them so keep that in mind when selecting tank mates. Red tailed sharks will get about 4"-5" max in length.

One of the benefits of my red tailed shark is that he scares my Serpae Tetra and Neon Tetra's in to shoaling, which IMHO is a beautiful way to view your fish. So i have two nice shoals of fish swimming around with my red tailed shark roaming around in between. If i look hard enough i can see my red cherry shrimp cleaning as well.

I still preform weekly tank cleaning and water changes though, has this maintance will help with keeping your fish from getting sick with fin rot etc due to bad water.
redtail and rainbow shrks are good at cleaning,but get to big and active for a 10.

Get some AES (amano), you won't be disappointed IMO. I rehomed my otos and pleco (horrible cleaners/poop factories IMO/E) and these little guys are doing 10x the job at 1/50th the bioload. Best part is, my big Moor and his maw can't get near them as they clean like the machines mother nature made them into.

Back
Top Bottom