Record Breaking Cory Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Greetings All. A month or so ago I related how I had a few spawnings of Corydoras aeneus that totaled around 1200 eggs. Well, this weekend broke all records here, both in number of species and total eggs laid. Since Friday I have had spawnings from C. aeneus (600), normal C. paleatus (100), albino high-fin C. paleatus (75), C. duplicareus (30), green/albino cross of C. aeneus (300), C. potaroensis (275), and C. prionotus (100). (Most egg counts approximate, but conservative. Others are exact.) Fry have already started to hatch and I'm hoping to have some time tomorrow to take some pics and video clips. This was truly an amazing Cory weekend. - Frank/Guppyman

Holy jebus Frank; they putting something in the water over in Laurel Lake? You guys get your water from a diff reservoir then us in Southern NY right (looks suspiciously at her breeding cichlids)?

Water

In actuality it's well water. We're right over one of the largest aquafirs in the area. Of course, when you have close to 2,000 Corys (400 breeding age) in the house, you're bound to get weekends like this. - Frank/Guppyman

uhm. how do you count all those swimming dots? i'm pretty sure i couldn't sit still that long.

do you breed them specifically? is that why you have so many (to say the least)?

I am so jealous!
How do you do it? Are they in special breeding tanks? Want to throw some in an envelope and send them my way?

Counting Eggs

medge00 said:
uhm. how do you count all those swimming dots? i'm pretty sure i couldn't sit still that long. do you breed them specifically? is that why you have so many (to say the least)?
Hi, Medge. Well, I count the eggs I move from Java Moss individually. It is very tedious and time consuming, but I am just learning to spawn the more difficult species and it is important to know your hatch ratio to know if your water parameters are correct for a given species. Others - I count an area of eggs on the tank wall and then "guestimate" conservatively by square inches of egg coverage on the glass.

Yes, I am trying to breed them, but it seems that the easiest way is to feed them live black worms and ignore them. I didn't even know that the C. prionotus had spawned. I just happened to glance in their tank and since I had no experience with this species and the eggs were so tiny I almost completely missed them.

It only seems that I have a lot of Corys. I keep 10 small or 5-6 large per tank and 15 to 20 in holding tanks to pick breeders from. Multiply that by 200 tanks and you get big numbers very quickly. - Frank/Guppyman

Corys

Menagerie said:
I am so jealous!
How do you do it? Are they in special breeding tanks? Want to throw some in an envelope and send them my way?
Hi, Menagerie. See above. Some are in tanks by themselves and others are in my guppy tanks. We are having our Grand Opening of our guppy hatchery on March 20th and hope to start selling lots o' fish at very good prices at that time. Keep us in mind. :) - Frank/Guppyman

I was never able to find them or others with similar markings such as adolfi. I ended up settling on trilineatus

Cory Availability

Hi Scott. - If you are ever looking for interesting Corys, LMK. I can usually refer you to a good breeder that charges fair prices. Also, you can oftentime find very good deals on aquabid.com. - Frank/Guppyman

Hi Frank, congratulations! I haven't seen you around here in awhile...glad you're back, and with amazing news, too. Good luck with your Grand Opening! If I was anywhere near I'd trek over there and have a look-see and buy myself some good fishies.

:D

Grand Openning

myriam said:
I haven't seen you around here in awhile...glad you're back, and with amazing news, too. Good luck with your Grand Opening!
Hi Myriam. I've been around, checking up on your adventures. Thanks for your kind words and good wishes. If you're ever in this neck of the woods, do stop in. - Frank/Guppyman

Back
Top Bottom