Recycling water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meashkah

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone use their water change water for house plant watering? I heard that houseplants love it but haven't tried it yet.

I sometimes use it to water my outdoor garden and it works great. I just make sure to extra wash what I pick. The only issue is if it is really dirty water it can attract animals

Using Old Fish Tank Water

Does anyone use their water change water for house plant watering? I heard that houseplants love it but haven't tried it yet.

Hello Mea...

You can use it to fertilize your house or outdoor plants. Most of my tanks are in my basement, so even though carrying 5 gallon buckets of old fish water up the stairs is good exercise, I'm afraid most of it, from my tanks, goes down the drain.

B

I water all our indoor and outdoor plants with my old tank water from the weekly changes. I think they look healthier than with our regular tap water (might just be in my head).... it doesn't leave a smell in any of the rooms with the plants either

I water all our indoor and outdoor plants with my old tank water from the weekly changes. I think they look healthier than with our regular tap water (might just be in my head).... it doesn't leave a smell in any of the rooms with the plants either

That's great to know. Im going to try it today since my plants all need water and it's water change day. ;) I was wondering about smell too.

I pump my water changes for my 65 gal and 100 gal straight out into the garden, except when I clean the filters then it goes into a couple of 5 gal buckets to rinse the media, then it ends up going on the garden also.

the plants are doing great.

My roses and herbs love the tank water. I get to teach my little ones on some basic recycling principles-- with some pretty and yummy results!

Wow, thanks guys for all the suggestions and info. I watered all my houseplants and some outside plants today. I hope my succulents like the fishy water! It seemed like a good idea and so far I can detect no odor in the house from it. Yippee!

Back
Top Bottom