Red Algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there such a thing as red algae? I find a fluffy, wavy patch of a red SOMETHING on my driftwood today. Should I be concerned?

Is there such a thing as red algae? I find a fluffy, wavy patch of a red SOMETHING on my driftwood today. Should I be concerned?

There is such a thing. It's mostly in salt water tanks but there is a rare red furry variety in freshwater. Not much is known about it. The only time I ever saw any the tank was cycling and there was nitrite in the water. Julian Sprung mentions that in his book on Algae. Also many of the red algae in that book live where there is excessive nitrate.

D. Walstad made a very brief mention of this in her book on freshwater planted tanks but I can't find it in there now. If I do I will post. I believe she did not know the cause either.

My own personal theory is that Red color in plants usually indicates Iron. Iron has been known to cause algae in high enough concentrations. Do you have issues with rust stains in your sinks or toilets?

Here is an article but It doesn't really seem to know the specific cause either.

Control of Red Algae in the Freshwater Aquarium

Could it be dying bba? Sometimes when I've treated bba with h2o2 or excel, it turns red whilst dying.

I used RO water so there should not be an issue with rust in the water at all. My levels are all at zero or just a hair above. The tank is all live plants and driftwood.

Could it be dying bba? Sometimes when I've treated bba with h2o2 or excel, it turns red whilst dying.

I have heard that some beard algae may turn red when dying after treated with Peroxide or Excel. Might be that too.

Pics would be helpful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like cyanobacteria or maybe even "red cotton candy" algae more common in marine tanks.

Hmmmm....That's an interesting observation. OP....Can you tell us if this algae is like a slime that comes off easy? A slime that doesn't come of easy? By swooshing the water near it etc? Or more like a fur that does not come off easy?

Could you tell us what the nitrate and phosphate levels are?

It is kind of strange it is only in that one place and no where else. Is there a chance it was on the log before you added it? Maybe re hydrated and stuck out? Does it seem like it is growing in size?

It looks like the annoying fuzzy stuff that comes off a blanket my mother in law gave me. Sorry not relevant, but I hate that stupid blanket, it's constantly shedding.

Back
Top Bottom