Red belly piranha help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And btw how do you like your hill stream loaches sorry I looked at ur bio haha

I kept 6 piranha in a 75 gallon for a few years. 75 is not nearly big enough and I had to give up half of them after about a year and ahalf. (I got them at around the size of a nickel)

Even with only 3, I could tell they were depressed in my 75, as they were dull in colour and didn't swim a lot other than when they ate. When they finally died after about 6 years, with only 2 remaining for the last couple of years, I can safely say that you should either upgrade to a 300 gallon tank or make arrangements to give up your fish.

They will be happy in your 55 until they are about 7 inches and then they will begin to become aggressive and you will find fish with large chunks missing.

Also, don't worry about them chewing on anything, all my equipment is submersible and I never had any problems with that.

I kept 6 piranha in a 75 gallon for a few years. 75 is not nearly big enough and I had to give up half of them after about a year and ahalf. (I got them at around the size of a nickel)

Even with only 3, I could tell they were depressed in my 75, as they were dull in colour and didn't swim a lot other than when they ate. When they finally died after about 6 years, with only 2 remaining for the last couple of years, I can safely say that you should either upgrade to a 300 gallon tank or make arrangements to give up your fish.

They will be happy in your 55 until they are about 7 inches and then they will begin to become aggressive and you will find fish with large chunks missing.

Also, don't worry about them chewing on anything, all my equipment is submersible and I never had any problems with that.

When they get that big is it possible still to ship then without stressing them out to bad or would it just be best for local sell

I wouldn't know how to advise you on that, I sold mine for store credit at a local fish store. If you must ship them I would recommend shipping them packed individually so to avoid aggression and in something or than a bag, as they will tear open a bag.

Okay sounds good I wonder if petsmart or petco would take them for credit at that big if you don't mind me asking I was wondering how much did you get for them at that size... And thank you all for the amazing info!!!

Unfortunately, I didn't trade them at that size, that's how I know they will get aggressive lol. I traded them around 9 inches, and I think I got 45$ in store credit, but tbh I would have gave them away for free so that they wouldn't be danger of becoming a meal for one of their siblings.

You're welcome, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Well I have a 5 inch mbuna cichlid in there I wonder if he will be fine any Info on that?

Actually I have a tip for you, they may take chunks out each other at some point, so have a hospital tank ready because they will gang up and cannabilize any injured fish. If you can't afford to set up a hospital tank, get a plastic basket with holes in it from the dollar store, you can protect the injured fish by securing him inside the basket upside down inside your main tank.

You have another fish in with the piranhas? I can't see that ending well, though I never tried keeping other fish with mine other than white cloud mountain minnows, which would slowly be eaten.

He is more aggressive than they are when it's feeding time he is the first to rip the tail off!

Back
Top Bottom