red cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 10gal planted tank with rcs in it but i was wondering if it was normal for soem to be bright red, and others to be clear with some red speckels on them. the all red ones dont come out of the jave moss but the speckled ones are always swimming, walking around. could there be somthing im not doing to make the others feel safe?

Solid red RCS are female, clear or marginally colored are male.

Females with eggs may spend more time under cover, especially if they are clutching eggs (berries).

As long as your water quality is good, they are probably just fine.

I too have a heavily planted RSC tank. Enjoy it!

Reactions: HN1
The deep red ones are the females. The ones that are clearer with just some red flecks are the males. In general the males will be more active, and this will be even more true if there are females ready to breed somewhere in the tank. The females will release a hormone into the water signaling that they are ready to breed and all the males will go nuts zipping all around trying to figure out which female it was that released the signal. :p

Sounds like they are doing fine. Keep the water clean and they will be happy and thrive.

okk thank you there in a 10gal with black sand and black background. the all red 1s are in the java moss. that makes sence. there was 4 about a month ago that had berries but the few fish i had in there at the time, but they have been rehomed so i should be over loaded with shrimp after a while.
will they stop breeding if the tank gets to over populated?

No they will keep going. Make sure you cover the intake of your filter up with some mesh or a sponge. You will find lots of babies in there.

yea i retrofited some foam and made a nice cover. i dont think i need me filter media now lol but cant hurt to have a lil extra bacteria. 4 of them look like there starting to get the yellow saddel on them so some day i mite have lil cherrys swimming around

1 baby shrimp !YAY!

last night i spotted somthing darting around my tank, with a little bit of invetigation i seen this lil guy. its a little bit smaller that a 1/4in total. about a month ago my shrimp were all holding eggs but i had fish in with them. could this guy bee from then? how big are they when born?

Attachments

• baby shrimp.0.jpg
    baby shrimp.0.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 93
If the shrimp is less than 1/4" long, it was born in your tank. The smallest shrimp I've found in my tanks is about 1/8". Shrimplets are usually nearly transparent, which makes them a pain to find, even if you're looking for them.

Back
Top Bottom