Red Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey-

Just wondering if anyone has this shrimp. I'm thinking about getting some but I don't know the requirements of them. Like what ph and temperature and what to feed them. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks!

Cherry shrimp are my favorite at the moment! I keep them in several tanks that have slightly different water parameters with great success. They will spawn and in the absence of predators you will find many babies.

I do not feed them or otherwise take any special care of them, but they do eat algae (one tank has some, the other is a low light tank without any - no difference in the shrimp that I can tell) and I assume they eat leftover food from teh fish. I am sure there is a profile available for them that gives specific parameters, but I have found them to be hardy and adaptable to my relatively hard, alkaline water as well as my soft, acidic heavily planted tanks. Their color is vibrant and complements the green of the plants very well.

Also they will breed like crazy for you. I bought about 100 of them and in months I had almost 400

Exactly, Marcus, I have them in with Endler's livebearers and between the two sets of creatures the tanks are becoming overrun!

Thanks for the info!
But scratch the idea of getting red cherry shrimp. They are $8 each at my LFS!!!

WHAT? 8O -sorry to shout, but.....

I ordered mine from AZGardens.com when I was getting some plants. Don't remember what they cost, but certainly not that. After shipping charges (they charge a-plenty) you are probably better off getting them at the LFS. Once you have a colony going you can sell them back to the LFS and get a return on your investment. :wink:

Maybe I'll do that. Just buy a few and breed them to get some money back. Good idea, but that will be a while .... $8 each!!. Thanks for the help.

Get about 6 or 7 and you should be fine
CHERRY-RED-SHRIMP.jpg

photo courtesy of Lin, Yu-Ho

This is a small (about 1" TL) algae eating shrimp from Taiwan.
Survive in aquariums: Yes
Survive in warm ponds: No
Survive in cold ponds: No
Plant eating capacity: Low
Algae eating capacity: Moderate to High
http://www.aquatic-store.com/index.html?target=p_3337.html&lang=en-us

Back
Top Bottom