Red Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got them in my tank w/my guppy fry. They're small and peaceful. I've been told they'll breed readily, but I can't get mine to breed at all.

hulkamaniac said:
I've got them in my tank w/my guppy fry. They're small and peaceful. I've been told they'll breed readily, but I can't get mine to breed at all.

Are you sure that you have both males and females? If you bought them from a LFS it's very likely that you have only females. The females are a bright red, while the males tend to be clear maybe with some red speckles.

How much bioload do you all think that 12 RCS would add to my 40 Gallon tank? Will they pick on my snail or pleco or fight for food with them?

I figure i would get 12 as im sure one of my larger beacon tetras will eat at least a few of them.

-Pleco

Pleco said:
How much bioload do you all think that 12 RCS would add to my 40 Gallon tank? Will they pick on my snail or pleco or fight for food with them?

I figure i would get 12 as im sure one of my larger beacon tetras will eat at least a few of them.

-Pleco

Maybe you are better off setting up a 5g or 10g for your 12 rcs...I don't think they would feel very safe with tetras nipping at them (-->no reproducing, and if they do likely the baby shrimp will get eaten), and if your pleco is big enough he might even eat some shrimp.....I've seen my pleco eat very small baby fish. So why not shrimp?

Bioload-wise there is no problem with adding 12 shrimp to a 40g, they add very little to bioload. If they add anything at all, seeing that they eat leftover foods and algae I would think they are even beneficial for your system.

Once you set up a nice planted 5g or 10g with some RCS, you will have much more chance of them reproducing, so then you can always add some of the offspring to your main tank.

MTS is a wonderfull thing :wink:

Back
Top Bottom