Red cherry shrimp hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishliker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I have a 29 gallon tank with 7 honey gourami and 8-10 red cherry shrimp. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420665679.704292.jpg. I have had the shrimp about a month now and if I look for them I can find them under the driftwood. I would love them to come out, can ou guys give me suggestions on what I need to do please. Are the fish too big and are scaring them? I don't see the fish going after them. Do I need to have tank more heavily planted? Or would it help to get more shrimp, and how many? Also , I have started putting some food under the driftwood since they don't come out to eat at feeding time. Is this a good idea? Thanks, I'm new at the shrimp.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, big fish may scare them. Once the Shrimp grow up and there are more of them, you may see a few adults. If the fish harass them, you may never see them.

My next Shrimp tank will be Shrimp and Otos only.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420666535.253700.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine hide a bit. I haven't had them that long and I did get them as juveniles but I noticed mine seem to come out more at night when the light is off.

I've heard zucchini is often a favorite of theirs- maybe try that? Mine also like to hide under my sword or my nana- maybe add a plant that kinda keeps tw bigger fish away?

Small shrimp need to hide for their safety.
Moss is ideal, they can get into the moss where the fish can't go.
I went through a few initial phases of thinking that I'd lost my shrimp but now have hundreds. My tetras can only eat the babies but plenty survive.
Gouramis have bigger mouths than tetras and so can eat larger shrimp. This might be a problem until they grow on.
However, get more moss and not just a little.

Definitely add a lot more moss because gouramis can be pretty scary for RCS. You don't really need to feed them specifically. They will eat biofilm, leftover food, microorganisms and algae growing on plants. As long as your tank is reasonably mature, it will have lots of the shrimp to eat, especially the goodies that grow on driftwood. My RCS love scraping at wood.

Back
Top Bottom