Red Cherry Shrimp Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfisher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently bought 10 RCS through an Internet purchase. The shrimp arrived safely and were quite active. I acclimated them using the method that Fort suggested, so that they would feel more comfortable in their new environment. The trouble is that they are quite young, so very small in size, and had lost their red color because of traveling. The seller said this would happen and said it would take a few weeks to re-gain their color. I have two questions: how long will it take week-wise, and how quickly do RCS grow. I don't know what condition they are in because I have not seen them since they arrived. They are well-hidden in the plants in the back of the tank. I broke some algae wafers and put in the back of the tank for them to eat because I am afraid my larger Danios may eat the small RCS if they come out of hidding.

Joy...Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

I picked up three of them last Wednesday and mine are already getting more color, I know it'll take much longer for them to mature and get full color but they are growing already, all I know is they grow pretty quick, but I'm definitely following to learn more :)

If they are of a good strong red strain, it should happen fairly quickly. Mine haven't taken more than a couple days. Several weeks I doubt...

I recently bought 10 RCS through an Internet purchase. The shrimp arrived safely and were quite active. I acclimated them using the method that Fort suggested, so that they would feel more comfortable in their new environment. The trouble is that they are quite young, so very small in size, and had lost their red color because of traveling. The seller said this would happen and said it would take a few weeks to re-gain their color. I have two questions: how long will it take week-wise, and how quickly do RCS grow. I don't know what condition they are in because I have not seen them since they arrived. They are well-hidden in the plants in the back of the tank. I broke some algae wafers and put in the back of the tank for them to eat because I am afraid my larger Danios may eat the small RCS if they come out of hidding.

RCS grow very quickly. They also don't develope all of their color right away, so if you have some very young ones, it's possible that their lack of color isn't even related to their travels.

How large are they? Females should start showing color by the time they're a half inch or so. Males are much less colorful throughout their lifetimes. I'm guessing that you'll have shrimplets within a month or so. They do grow and reproduce quickly. :)

Mine are all three around half an inch here's a pic

They all three seem pretty clear but have a orangey stripe down there backs any thoughts?

Attachments

• image-3207987655.jpg
    image-3207987655.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 66
One of mine is about 1/2 inch. When it arrived, it was fairly dark in color. Another was about 1/4 in. and was orangish. The rest were clear and about 1/8 in. long. I hope they are O.K, because I have not seen them for three days now. Thanks everyone for your feedback. They sure did move fast when they were put in the tank :)

fort sent me some 2 weeks ago... they were clear when I got them and very tiny... I thought they had all been eaten until last week... they've doubled in size and become very red. So... they grow quick!

Big-j: thanks for the picture of your RCS. He(she?) seems to be coloring nicely. It is a nice size too :)

Do all fish eat RCS? I was hoping my RCS were safe until I saw my large Danio giving chase to one of my large shrimp ( old shrimp) not new one. The shrimp escaped unscathed. I thought small fish such as Tetras and peaceful fish such as Platys would leave them alone. My Danios seem to be the only ones interested in the shrimp and the ones I am most concerned about.

I have fish who could swallow them whole that don't seem interested at all. It all depends on the individual fish.

Fish will try to eat them until (and unless) they realize that it takes too much energy to catch them. Ambush predators like apistos, bettas, angels, etc. will take out adults along with young. Mouth size is really just one consideration, but generally a good rule.

Back
Top Bottom