Red Cherry Shrimps in Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaSteve1217

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,
looking to populate my 36 Gallon tank with some RCS.
I currently have 10 tetra in, and am planning to introduce some Blue Rams and Sterby cats later.
If i give the RCS some time to breed, do you think they could survive in my tank in the long run?
Cheers

The rams will hunt the shrimp quite well. That being said, if you have enough shrimp and enough hiding spaces that the rams can't get to them it will be fine. I would try to have at least 15 breeding age shrimp in the tank before trying the rams.

You need at least a few months of the shrimp getting acclimated and breeding unless you happen to buy a few pregnant ones. The RCS will start costing money to replace in the long run and chances are the blue ram will get to them all before they can breed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As mebbid said unless there are a lot of hiding places it'll be tough

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had about 12 adult shrimp in my 29g tank with gbrs. By the time I broke it down there were around 40. Its not impossible to do, just be aware that you need lots of decor.

Mopani driftwood and stacks of lace rock work great for this.

I'm afraid I agree with Dude, will cost you to keep replacing them. I can't even find any these days.i have put 3 groups of 6 in my 29, with 7 honey gourami.thecfish don't bother the shrimp as far as I see, but I never see them unless I lift up things where they are hiding. They must be afraid of the relatively large fish. I may try one more time to add more, but as I said, I can't find any in the stores lately.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

*shrug* this was my 29g tank. After this picture was taken my stock got to be 2 plecos, 2GBRs, lots of guppies, 3 Aphysemion Australe, and 6 Harlequin rasbora.

tank2k.jpg

The GBRs and Killifish hunted my shrimp with glee but like I mentioned earlier, the 12 I started with exploded in population.

Thanks for the responses much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you want RCS in a community tank then you need masses of moss and loads of plant. The fish will still pick off many of the baby shrimp but many more will survive. I have hundreds in my big tank which has shoals of tetras but is over one third plant and moss.
The fish and adult shrimp just ignore each other.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421535002.162974.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom