Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to BrutusPleco
Red Claw Crabby

I have my Red Claw Crab (Crabby) in a 2.5 gal. tank. Tank came with light and a whisper filter. I unplugged the light as Crabby never came out from hiding. I am wondering though do I need the filter going for a crab? I have gravel on the bottom, water is about 4 inches deep (just deep enough for the filter to run). I have an old filter tube that is half way submerged in the water and Crabby stays in that tube alot. Some times he ventures out of the tube on the air side and sometimes on the water side. I feed him snails from my 100 gal. tank and also reg. fish food and dried bloodworms. Ordered some Hikara Crab Cuisine but have not received yet. Hopefully soon. Appreciate any advice you can give!! Thank you so much for this forum!!!

Old 04-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Red-claw crabs (typically Sesarma spp.) require brackish salinity; lethargy in full freshwater is often indicative of impending death. The Hikari pellets were a likely unnecessary purchase - claims of high calcium content aside, they have no distinct nutritional advantage over standard tropical granules and pellets. Be sure to allow constant freedom of access to above-water "air" - a sloped mound of sand or an element of emergent decor would be best, but your filter tube may suffice. Is the tank heated?

Old 04-05-2005, 12:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Some commendable tank setups may be viewed here.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to BrutusPleco
REd Claw Crab

Tank is not heated. As I turned the light off on the 2.5 gal. tank. As Crabby always hid when it was on. Got alot of info from the site you sent me to! Thanks!! Do I need to test for nitrates or any other parameters?

Tags
claw, crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com