Red clawed crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul E. Morphius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, all! Long time reader, first time poster.

I've purchased this brown, 3-inch-long crab. It was possibly kept in freshwater conditions (shopkeeper couldn't understand a word of English) like most crabs in the pet trade. Problem is, I'm no longer sure what kind of crab it is! It looks strikingly similar to red clawed crabs native to Hong Kong (where I live), but it's claws don't fit the red claw profile. I was hoping some people can help me identify it.

I've kept the crab in brackish water and seems to be doing fine (it's been 3 days). I just hope I don't inflict any irreversible damage to the poor little scuttler.

Here are some pics of Dr. Zoidberg (my crab. Futurama, anyone? =P) and one of a red clawed crab. I hope this helps you help me help him. =P

Thanks in advance! ^^

Attachments

• Dr. Zoidberg.jpg
    Dr. Zoidberg.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 157
  • Dr. Zoidberg 2.jpg
    Dr. Zoidberg 2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Dr. Zoidberg 3.jpg
    Dr. Zoidberg 3.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 228
  • Bug,%20C15.jpg
    Bug,%20C15.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 343
Did you mean to say it is 3 cm? Or 3 in.?

If it is 3 in., then it is definitely NOT a Red Claw Crab. I kept a tank of Red Claw Crabs for several years, they only grow to a little over 1", maybe 1.5" at the most, at full adult size.

I don't have the resources to help you directly, but I will send you a PM with a few suggestions.

Oh pfft. I meant 3 inches. Anyways, that also counts the leg-span. The carapace itself is 1 inch lengthwise.

It is most definitely not a fiddler crab. From your pictures, it doesn't quite look like an RCC. The back seems too square, and the colors are off. It could be that it recently molted or is stressed, and thus temporarily lost its coloration. A better pic of the claws would help. It could also be another species of mangrove crab. I would google other Perisesarma species.

Good luck with your crab!

--Adeeb

Hmm...Looks exactly like my pair of fiddler crabs, except the male has a bigger fiddle obviously....Hope I have fiddler crabs LMAO!!!

@Cichchick79 - Most definitely not a fiddler and most definitely not a female. You can tell by checking the width of the crab's tucked tail. If the crab's tail is narrow, it is a male. If the crab's tail is broad, it is a female.

About your fiddlers, some screenshots can help identify it. :D

@Adeemb - Recently molted? The crab proved to be harder than a hard-boiled egg when he grabbed me for changing him to his new tank so I guess that is ruled out. Stressed? I don't know about crabs changing color due to stress, but I guess that is also ruled out because its body shape is to squarish for an RCC as you said earlier.

Thanks for helping out, the both of you. :D

Attachments

• P1056_04-11-10.jpg
    P1056_04-11-10.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 587
  • P1100_04-11-10.jpg
    P1100_04-11-10.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 132
  • sexmale.jpg
    sexmale.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,087
  • sexfemale.jpg
    sexfemale.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 979
hmm, I didn't realise you were in Hong Kong. In that case, it's more than likely that your crab is some other species of mangrove crab, similar to an RCC. Good luck trying to ID it though, taxonomy is a huge pain :p

I wish I could get exotic species here...

--Adeeb

Thanks! IDing them is a pain, but it can help me raise my crab in optimum conditions. I was planning to breed it, but I'm afraid it may not be a native specie to set free in the wild. Last thing I want is an invasion of alien crabs destroying an ecosystem. 0.o

I noticed you keep three different kinds of crab together in one paludarium. Don't they fight? I've read from one experience of a guy who kept a a pair of red clawed crabs with a fiddler. Eventually, the territorial male RCC ripped the fiddler apart...

My male fiddler had minor scuffles with the RCCs early on, but he hasn't for ages. they mostly keep to themselves. I make sure they have a lot of hiding spots, and then they don't mind as much. It's pretty much like keeping community fish. There might be fin nippers, but for the most part they get along.

--Adeeb

Finally found what kind of crab I have! Turns out it is a flower crab (Sesarmops Intermedium). The color of its claws and the shape of its carapace totally fits the profile.

Well unless anyone thinks otherwise?

Attachments

• DSC_3971.jpg
    DSC_3971.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 85
  • sesarmops_intermedium-2.jpg
    sesarmops_intermedium-2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 89
Oh and also it is worth mentioning there are fine leg hairs that are found on both my crab and the pics of the crabs above.

Thanks!

One problem though: I haven't found any info on how to care for them. Well that problem is for another thread. >.0

Back
Top Bottom