Red Gobby Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
My lfs has a fish that they call red goby. It looks like a goby and its coloration resembles that of a killifish (white with red dots). I would like to buy this fish, but don't know anything about these species. How bid do they grow? Do they need dry land, or can they stay fully submersed? What water parameters do they require? Will they be ok with my current fish. Finally, are they scooling fish or can I buy just one?

Hmmm, a google search for "red goby" yeilded mostly SW results. Check this site: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/gobies.htm and see if what you saw matches anything. Read the description for gobies in general and that may answer many of your Qs. This opening statement says a lot: "Gobies are the largest group of marine fishes, and fresh, brackish and salt combined...."
You will need to ask the LFS for the scientific name to understand what you are dealing with. I keep bumble bee gobies in a brackish tank with a few BW tank mates and it's a fun tank. The brightest colored gobies are SW and there are only a few that can withstand FW. There is also the chance that what you saw is not a true goby at all!

There is also the chance that what you saw is not a true goby at all!
That's what I am thinking about this fish.
Unfortunately, a girl who works in that store doesn't know its scientific name.

Ask someone to check the oder form. Often the scietific names are not on the tanks, but can be found on the oder form. If that doesn't work and you have access to a digital camera, take a pic and we can try to help out.

Perhaps Tateurndina ocellicauda or Mogurnda mogurnda ( I am guessing the latter)?
Thank you!!! That's exactly what I saw in lfs!
Though there is no much of information about these fish on the internet, I've read that they are fin nippers. That is a dissapointment to me because I have gouramis, which will be, most likely, garteted by any fin nipping fish.

Back
Top Bottom