Red tail finned shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Connorsx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I... I have, guppies, tetras, mollies, Algae eaters and a red tail finned shark. The shark seems to be chasing the tetras and algae eaters around, I've been told they are quite territorial, I don't want my fish to get stressed do you think I should take the shark back or is this normal behaviour? Thanks all

If your tank is

1. Smaller than a 55 gallon
2. Not highly decorated with DW, caves
3. Not Planted

then yes you may need to return the RTS. They are VERY territorial and need their space (55+gal) plus territories to claim. Setting up plants, caves and DW can help set up territories for it to claim. Otherwise it will just continue to chase the other fish and if you think it's bad now, wait until feeding time.

+1. Red tailed sharks are territorial and require large tanks. Not sure how big your tank is though.

I have 60g tank, loads of plants and a lot of under cover areas but still he won't stop, will it harm my fish or will they be ok by this?

I agree, return the shark. Sorry about that too, I know it's hard, but it's best for the shark and your other fish. The PetStores will just want to make a sale for the most part; I'm sure there are some who are well informed but it's always best to do your own research first rather than accepting what they tell you at the LFS.

Mine are under 2, and if it wasn't for him being the child that he is it could well maybe be possible, last week I turned my back for 2 seconds to then be greeted by my glasses, my babies thermometer and my partners sock. I've had to move the tank or else they would be living off microwave media for a while, leaving my son for even a short while to peel dime spuds would be dangerous :) well done though, you have much patience (and a bigger house) ?!

I... I have, guppies, tetras, mollies, Algae eaters and a red tail finned shark. The shark seems to be chasing the tetras and algae eaters around, I've been told they are quite territorial, I don't want my fish to get stressed do you think I should take the shark back or is this normal behaviour? Thanks all
Actually a tank that size may not work for other fish you have as well. Mollies at full size can reach 3-5" and have massive bio-loads. I would consider 29 gals the minimum for them. Most algae eaters do not work in a tank that size either, can you elaborate on the type of algae eater it is? Also the type of tetra?

Connorsx said:
Mine are under 2, and if it wasn't for him being the child that he is it could well maybe be possible, last week I turned my back for 2 seconds to then be greeted by my glasses, my babies thermometer and my partners sock. I've had to move the tank or else they would be living off microwave media for a while, leaving my son for even a short while to peel dime spuds would be dangerous :) well done though, you have much patience (and a bigger house) ?!

Haha. Patience had to be learnt very quickly! My largest tank sits next to the kids toys in the dinning room. Not the best place but the only place it would fit. I frequently walk around the corner to find my daughter (3 next month) with her chair next to the tank up to her armpits. Then I get 'but mummy I want to hold them!'

Back
Top Bottom