red tail shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blizzard

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just wondering if it would be OK to house a red tail shark in a 10 gallon aquarium. There a pretty small fish, but I hear that they are very territorial.

Thanks,
Blizzard.

Thanks guys i definitely wont put them in the ten gallon then. What are some fish that do well in a tank this size. I know that I definitely am going to put a small school of neon tetras in there. What would go well with these. (I would really like some type of cat fish)

Thanks,
Blizzard.

People always mix up red tailed sharks and red finned sharks. Either won't fit in a 10G tbh, but you should always go for the red finned name in a community tank rather than the red tailed generally b/c it's far less aggressive and looks very similar (actually IMHO I prefer the red finned :p).

But yep, in a 10G neither is a good choice really :(

Otos would work well in a 10G for keeping algae down.

My local fish store calls the red finned ones Rainbow Sharks. They do have a glowy look to them when they are in a good mood, and I as well like them better.

I have a red tail in my 75G and 2 rainbow sharks in my 55G. The Rainbow Sharks are by far much less aggressive. But yes, they are territorial, but don't bother any of my other fish, where my red tail doesn't like any other fish that's in the tank.

That's the thing I've noticed about my Rainbow. Being dominant, he's the only one who has grown, but he never hurts the other fish... he chases them around occasionally, but that's it.

you might want to try any type of tetra, some can be very colorful and lively

just a tip:
when you stock your tank, dont cheap out and buy the discounted fish, because in a few weeks you realize you just have a tank full of cheap fish you regret having. and paying a dollar more for a red minor tetra or bleeding heart tetra doesnt sound so bad.

i know it happens to eager starters, i know i did, now i have albino cherry barbs, columbian tetras, platys, and glass fish, when i fish i had just put a few more dollars into better fish.

... so i worked around the system, got a bigger tank, and now have room for the uglies, and the prized fish

(i know i must sound like a bad owner, not liking some fish)

I don't like my painted tetras because to me they look like little chicken breasts with eyes and fins, but the one thing I love about them is how hard it is to kill them. They have been through more ups and downs with water parameters than any other fish I have. I had six, and the ONLY reason any have died is due to being eaten by my Oscar. I'm convinced that aside from being eaten, painted tetras are invincible.

Back
Top Bottom