Red Tail Shark And Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NikNak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This thread houses two questions that I've wanted to find information on.

Recently I bought a Betta. Got the proper water, food, and the like. The tank/container I bought for him is 1 gallon with a live plant inside. What type I would have to look at the tag.
One, is 1 gallon too small?
Here's the catch. My betta is rather large. About 4 inches.

I have a Red Tail Shark that I've had for about a year now. Not sure the gender. It's reached it's maximum growth size I believe. Just short of 6 inches. Currently it's living in a 30 gallon tank with a good sized hiding place and Three tank buddies. Two small Tiger Barbs and one Black Neon Tetra.
My question is if the tank is too small for the Shark? From what I can see the shark doesn't seem stressed. It rather enjoys chasing the other fish with no ill effects.

All Advice is welcome!

NikNak said:

Recently I bought a Betta. Got the proper water, food, and the like. The tank/container I bought for him is 1 gallon with a live plant inside. What type I would have to look at the tag.

I have a Red Tail Shark that I've had for about a year now. Not sure the gender. It's reached it's maximum growth size I believe. Just short of 6 inches. Currently it's living in a 30 gallon tank with a good sized hiding place and Three tank buddies. Two small Tiger Barbs and one Black Neon Tetra.
My question is if the tank is too small for the Shark? From what I can see the shark doesn't seem stressed. It rather enjoys chasing the other fish with no ill effects.

All Advice is welcome!

Question one: I think that that is to small especially for that size beta. I think the min is 5 gallons

:welcome: to AA(y)

1. Yes a 1 gallon tank is too small. At minimum a 5 gallon tank is a better option.

2. An RTS, especially fully grown needs to be in a 55 Gallon. Does it constantly chase its tank-mates? If so they could be getting stressed which could lead to disease. RTS tends to be territorial ... setting up additional DW, Plants and caves gives the RTS other territories to claim and may curtail further aggression.

for any betta, i'd reccommend 5+ gallons as a minimum

:welcome: to AA(y)

1. Yes a 1 gallon tank is too small. At minimum a 5 gallon tank is a better option.

2. An RTS, especially fully grown at minimum needs to be in a 55 Gallon. Does it constantly chase its tank-mates? If so they could be getting stressed which could lead to disease. RTS tends to be territorial ... setting up additional DW, Plants and caves gives the RTS other territories to claim and may curtail further aggression.

EDIT .. SORRY for the double post, my connection got hung up and hit post twice.

NikNak said:

All Advice is welcome!

Welcome to AA!

Way to small, I would get him a five, if not ten, and he'd be way happier.
RTS need 55 gallon minimum, what I would do is get him a bigger tank and fill out your schools to about five or six.

Indeed. I'm possibly buying a 55 gallon soon as a sale is currently going on at a local store. would that size support large schools like that and the shark?

I found when I added additional hiding places/plants, it helped in calming the RTS a lot(in a 55 gal). Mine is peaceful as can be. He was never really a terror to begin with though. At the same time I also added extra barbs to bring school to I think 7...That could have helped as well I suppose. The barbs began schooling much more frequently in the group of 7(was 5 before). It was quite remarkable how adding 2 made them behave so much differently.

The RTS shares a tree trunk with a lobster. I've seen him just basically resting across the claws and the lobster could care less....He knows he gets fed.

He was laying across the claws just as I tried to take the pic, but he's camera shy....

You are lucky the blue lobster is mellow. Mine was a serial killer.

You are lucky the blue lobster is mellow. Mine was a serial killer.

I make sure I drop tablets/wafer/etc for the lobster and he has learned after the fish start going bonkers on the surface that there will soon be stuff falling in front of his hideout. He'll push fish out of the way to get to his food lol.

The lobster and RTS bickered for a bit, and did live in seperate places, but eventually I guess the lobster accepted him, because for the last month they coexist in the tree trunk.

My shark is rather aggressive and territorial of her large hiding spot. She doesn't like the barbs but not so much as to actually hurt them.
She's too shy to let me show her off I think though.

Back
Top Bottom