Red tail shark not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a red tail shark and a flame goirami on friday. Theyr in my 10 gal QT now. My red tail isnt eating, when i put the flakes in they Both notice the food but the red tail doesnt swim to the top. Are they bottom feeders? Is he intimidated by the gourami?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I bought a red tail shark and a flame goirami on friday. Theyr in my 10 gal QT now. My red tail isnt eating, when i put the flakes in they Both notice the food but the red tail doesnt swim to the top. Are they bottom feeders? Is he intimidated by the gourami?

Red Tail Sharks are bottom feeders and will usually not feed off the top unless they're full grown adults and used to the tank. My Rainbow Shark goes up to the top but doesn't eat off of it, he grabs what falls down from my other fish and then goes down to the sand and starts foraging like a normal shark. I wouldn't be too worried as he's probably pretty stressed right now and most fish don't eat for the first few days of QT/ introduction into a tank. Just keep an eye on him, Red Tails and Rainbows love their food so I'm sure he'll come around soon!

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

So what should i do? Should i buy pellets that sink??

I've only seen my shark eat the smallest available pellet size NLS offers, and he's about 4.5". So yours may not eat them but hey never hurts to try! RTS and Rainbow Sharks eat leftovers on the bottom of the tank and other items such as that because they are bottom dwellers and feeders.
I say just keep dropping some nice high quality flake in their for the gourami and a little (incredibly heavy emphasis on little) extra so it can sink to the bottom, If he does not eat that extra bit vacuum it out. Also if he does not eat after about 3-4 days you may want to try some bloodworms, no fish I know can resist those!

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom