red tail shark tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to say this but you sound like you just buy fish on a whim without doing research on the fish.

I do not want sound nagging, but I am trying to inform you to make the best decisions.

My red tail shark is 7 inches, has plenty of hiding places, they will grow fast. They are omnivores and need frozen foods, not just flakes. He needs a minimum of 50 gallons. And as the other folks noted, he should be the only shark in the tank.

The tiger barb is a schooling fish, he will not do well by himself and they can grow to 3 inches. Again... needs much larger tank and friends of his own kind.

I use a 10 gallon for new fish for quarantine only and they only stay in there until they are perfectly healthy. A 10 gallon will not host many species of fish, as they are either schooling or grow larger.

Even my 3/4 inch bumble bee gobys are housed in a 20 gallon species only and I only have 3 of them in that tank. 3 fish in 20 gallon and they are healthy and happy.

As much as you want to buy a number fish, keep in mind adult size, compatibility and tank size.

Fish that do not live in schools do not require "friends". I have many single fish that prefer to be species only.

If fish are housed properly, feed correctly and given an environment that mimics their natural habitat they will live long and happy lives.

i agree with you 100 percent but i also believe that fish a lot of fish can be housed in smaller tanks than a 50 gallon for instance i believe that when my red tail shark is full grown he will be 100 percent able to survive in a 30 gallon just fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i agree with you 100 percent but i also believe that fish a lot of fish can be housed in smaller tanks than a 50 gallon for instance i believe that when my red tail shark is full grown he will be 100 percent able to survive in a 30 gallon just fine

He might survive but he won't thrive. That's a big difference. Heres a few links that may help open your mind a bit and establish a better basis of what you think may be okay and what's really proper. I find it pretty exhausting when folks come asking questions about what's better but already have a predetermined thought process no matter what helpful advice is given. It's kinda like a big slap in the face for those who are trying to help. And fairly unfair to the fish as they're not being given what they truly deserve. So here's some good reading for you.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_black_shark

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1172&pcatid=1172

Hope this changes your thinking for the benefit of the fish.

actually ive read both those articles before. your definitley right but with the little experience ive had the rules on fish can be bent a little and they can still live long healthy lives. am i wrong? will it make my shark die quicker and be less coloful? once again i dont think so but what do you guys think or gotten from previous experiences?

im open minded when it comes to this hobbie.. im fairly new compared to most of you guys on this sight.

I am sorry you got your feathers ruffed up

The fine people on this site for the most part give good advice from being responsible fish owners with experience.

If you don't want advice, don't ask for it.

My RTS was 6.5 inches and a 30 gallon tank would NEVER have been big enough.

There is usually more aggression when there isn't enough room to develop a decent territory. Each RTS has its own personality, some more pleasant some aggressive.

My RTS lived over 7 years and was always the only shark.

They will eat live Brine Shrimp.

I think 40G breeder would be the bare minimum, really, they are big swimmers, they love doing figure 8's in the tank and like to have good cover and hiding places like ledges by rocks, etc.

actually ive read both those articles before. your definitley right but with the little experience ive had the rules on fish can be bent a little and they can still live long healthy lives. am i wrong? will it make my shark die quicker and be less coloful? once again i dont think so but what do you guys think or gotten from previous experiences?

Congrats for reading the articles ?. I know I'm right. ?. Since you admit you have little experience, "bending" the rules is a definite NO ? ! They will not live long happy lives ?. Yes, you are wrong ?. Will it die quicker and be less colorful ? Probably so. Why ? Because you're not following along with the RECOMMENDATIONS given for a particular species. Others have listed their previous experience and you're just not getting it.

Also let me point out that when you agreed to the rules of the forum, you agreed to do the best for your fish. You are clearly choosing not to by putting a fish in a 30g that should be in a 45-50g tank. That's not only unethical but immoral. A couple of months from now, I can see the next thread for you being "Why Did My Fish Die".

im open minded when it comes to this hobbie.. im fairly new compared to most of you guys on this sight.

You're far from open minded when you say that you have no experience and want to bend the rules. I'm done trying to help you.

My RTS was 6.5 inches and a 30 gallon tank would NEVER have been big enough.

There is usually more aggression when there isn't enough room to develop a decent territory. Each RTS has its own personality, some more pleasant some aggressive.

My RTS lived over 7 years and was always the only shark.

They will eat live Brine Shrimp.

I think 40G breeder would be the bare minimum, really, they are big swimmers, they love doing figure 8's in the tank and like to have good cover and hiding places like ledges by rocks, etc.

thank you. what did you feed your red shark when he was small because he doesn't seem to be taking to fakes ( most likely because he feeds on the bottom) and I think the 1mm pellets I have are a little to big. any good foods you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom