Red tail shark with cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parrisgg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm stocking my 40 breeder and I was wondering if you guys think a red tailed shark will be compatible with my bottom feeder cories?

they should be fine together they usually only attack their own kind but a 40 is probably to small for a shark

they should be fine together they usually only attack their own kind but a 40 is probably to small for a shark

This. Compatibility is fine, the tank size is not. You'd be risking the shark getting stunted and aggressive to the cories due to tank size if they went into a 40G.

I'm stocking my 40 breeder and I was wondering if you guys think a red tailed shark will be compatible with my bottom feeder cories?

A 40B is fine for a juvenile RTS, but as it grows its territorial aggression a going to kick-in. I recommend 75gal with plenty of DW, plants and rocks to help establish territories.

I think it may cause a problem with my two male gouramis who are friends. I don't want a rts to destroy their territory. My stock is 4 harlequin rasboras and two white cloud minnows, this group schools together. The 3 cories always stick around on the bottom but I am just concerned with the rts messing with the cories but also the gouramis because of them being territorial.

Don't worry just about the RTS and Gourami's ... When an RTS reaches about the 3inch ANY fish in the tank is fair game. They may look nice and peaceful as juvenile at LFS's. Wait till it starts to claim territory ... Which is usually the whole tank.

Back
Top Bottom