Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Red Tailed Black Shark help!

Hello everyone, I bought a Red Tailed Black Shark a few weeks ago, when I bought him he had a white tip on his dorsal fin. But now all of his fins have white tips. Is this normal or should I be worried? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it fuzzy looking? Could be fin rot or some type of fungus.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
Is it fuzzy looking? Could be fin rot or some type of fungus.

Nope, they look exactly like the tip of his dorsal fin which on most RTBSs are white
Old 01-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you get a pic? I don't think that they should have white tips it might be the beginning of fin rot
Old 01-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also what are his tank mates?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #6

Iíll get a pic as soon as I get back from the store, and his tank mates are 4 angelfish, a rubberlip pleco and a bala shark, but the other fish donít mess with him, the RTBS is the territorial one
Old 01-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You must have a huge tank! can wait to see the picture!
Old 01-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

That is completely normal on a RTS, you dont need to worry. As long as itís only on the tips of the fins and it doesnít look fuzzy and the fins donít appear torn or frayed in anyway, itís just part of their coloring. Most rtbs have this when they are young. It will sometimes stay. Sometimes it will disappear as they age. The females are more likely to keep the white tips. Males usually donít.

I have had a red-tail for a year now. I assume it's a female, since she has a gray belly and the very tips of her fins are still white
Old 01-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren4events View Post
That is completely normal on a RTS, you dont need to worry. As long as itís only on the tips of the fins and it doesnít look fuzzy and the fins donít appear torn or frayed in anyway, itís just part of their coloring. Most rtbs have this when they are young. It will sometimes stay. Sometimes it will disappear as they age. The females are more likely to keep the white tips. Males usually donít.

I have had a red-tail for a year now. I assume it's a female, since she has a gray belly and the very tips of her fins are still white

Same with mine! Mine has a gray belly too, how do you determine gender of a RTBS?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondtm View Post
Same with mine! Mine has a gray belly too, how do you determine gender of a RTBS?

The females usually have a grayer belly. Males are typically solid black (there are exceptions though). I would guess you had a female.

My shark will also turn grayish white sometimes when sheís stressed. But it goes away. I try to keep this from happening.

Some important things about rtbs:

Make sure you have a large enough tank. Otherwise, your shark will get stressed. This leads to greater illness susceptibility and aggression. Even if itís not a problem now, it will be if you donít have a large enough tank.

Make sure you have some caves and plenty of hiding places for your shark. They need hiding places! Itís in their nature.

And a tight fitting lid. They are jumpers! Trust me on the lid. Itís an absolute must. I canít tell you how many stories I have heard from people coming home to find their shark dead on the floor from jumping out of the tank.

Regular water changes are important for rtbs. They donít tolerate ammonia or nitrites well. So you should always know your water parameters. The best way to monitor this is purchasing the api freshwater master test kit.

Good luck! They are wonderful fish, and donít deserve their bad rep.

Tags
black, led, red, red tail, shark, tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com