Red tailed shark behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FoxRaid

Aquarium Advice Activist
My shark has been acting strange lately and im confused and not sure what to do with her. Her color changes constant, shes been swimming against the filters current, recently she has now been trying to leap out of her tank. Luckily i have a lid on it. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

This is my baby :3
ForumRunner_20130406_213822.jpg

I know they change color when they are stressed, and they also try to leap out when the water quality is not excellent(But it might be for whatever other reasons).
How big is this tank, what other fish are in it, what are the water parameters(Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate), when has she started acting like this and is she eating normally?

I have a 60g tank with 5 jumbo neon tetras, 3 otos, 2 hatchet fish, and 2 albino catfish. I did do a 15% water change today. She is somewhat new to her home as well so I am very unsure if this also could be the cause. The water quality is fine. Should i try moving her into a different tank alone for now?

Ive seen her scavaging for fallen food as it goes for eating. She wont swim up with the rest of the fish when i feed them.

Hey, well I wouldn't really want to make you feel offended in anyway, but I just did some research on all you're fish. Apparently, you're red tailed shark is pretty aggressive, and can't really live with most of you're fish. I would also recommend getting 3 additional hatchet fish, and 2 more albino catfish.
Then you could probably add some more non-aggressive or semi-aggressive fish.

I don't mean to come off as rude but you obviously don't know very much about your "baby".
First of all red tailed sharks are an aggressive and territorial fish, these traits are heightened in smaller tanks. They will try to jump out of a tank if the water quality is poor. You are not going to get much help saying the water is "fine" you need to test it with a test kit and relay the results so you can get adequate advice.

Redtail sharks rarely go to the surface to feed as they prefer to stay in the lower levels of the water column and scavenge for food.

I had a RTS in a 60g too but had to rehome it as I wished to have more then a RTS and black ghost knife, it will do better with semi-aggressive fish and not tetras ect.

They aggressiveness will get worse once it has established a territory too

Back
Top Bottom