Red-tailed Sharks in my community tank... Bad idea, I assume?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SalmonStank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Some background: I recently inherited a 55 and thought I might put some fish in it. I went to the store and got a bunch of tiger barbs, several red minors, two red-tailed sharks, an angelicus botia loach, and a pictus cat. I asked the salesperson specifically when I pointed out each species if they would get along together and if it was alright to get them in said amounts, and he seemed like he knew what he was talking about when he said they would all be fine, so I took him at face value.

However, when I got them home and in the tank, (which I cycled beforehand, I knew to do that at least) I did some research and found out that red-tailed sharks are notoriously aggressive when they come of a certain age, and are supposed to be kept in their own tank or with large cichlids, away from others of their own species preferably. I had been misinformed at the petstore, but I take full responsibility as I should have researched beforehand..I just didn't know what they'd have in stock and figured the staff would know this kind of thing.

I want to do what's best for the community. Should I get rid of the red-tails ASAP? The horror stories say that they'll likely start terrorizing my smaller fish soon, or that they'll rip each other apart. I could find no record on the internet of multiple red-tails being kept successfully in a community tank with smaller fish, and I'm not keen to bet on mine being the first case wherein the **** doesn't hit the fan at some point. Am I wrong? Are the horror stories just that... Stories? What should I do, experienced fish keepers?

If this is in the wrong section or something then I apologize but I ask that the mods not lock the thread until I at least get some input, thanks. Peace.

Well I've got two but yeah, should probably just return them if I can find the receipt, just to be on the safe side. Thanks dude.

If anyone wants a red-tail (or two!) reply to this thread and let me know, maybe we can set something up. I'd give them to you for free if you come to me. I live in Baltimore. In a decent neighborhood, no riots lol.

Definitely return one of them or they will begin to fight to the death.
With the fish you listed one red tail should do fine in there as they all get pretty good size and are considered moderately aggressive, same as the shark.
also keep in mind that a red tail will go after any other similar "shark", such as the aforementioned rainbow shark.

Definitely return one of them or they will begin to fight to the death.
With the fish you listed one red tail should do fine in there as they all get pretty good size and are considered moderately aggressive, same as the shark.
also keep in mind that a red tail will go after any other similar "shark", such as the aforementioned rainbow shark.

I agree with this.

There is always still a chance it might try to fight others, but i think it should be ok

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom