Red Tailed zipper loach behavior/compatablity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austin fishhead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased one of these guys from lfs and he's awesome. Very different than his kuhli loach tankmates. Today i saw something new he's burrowed under a rock and made himself quite a shelter. If not awed enough by that at feeding time i saw him horde food there! Very agressively defends his quarry from corys and and a upsidedown catfish. It has had me glued to the tank all day. Ive not found much info on them and i was curious if they are best kept singularly. I think i read there not found of there own species? True? It pays no mind to black/kuhli/hillstream loaches. ANy info appreciated.

austin fishhead...

I've got one of these loaches too. It is known as Schistura subfusca in scientific terms. Mine is very aggressive to all of the fish in my tank...including Blue Gouramis, Tiger Barbs, Yo-Yo Loaches and another, as yet unidentified loach. He doesn't cause any damage to them but he does chase them away from his 'territory', which is any part of the tank he happens to be at any given time. He is, regardless, a very interesting and beautiful fish.

Back
Top Bottom