Red Whiptail Catfish/Bristlenose Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was in my lfs and was talking about small algae eating fish. Up until now I had decided I was going to get otocinclus catfish as my tank is only 18 gallons but the person I spoke to suggested a bristle nose catfish or a red whiptail catfish. Would either be suitable?

I've tried to research online but I couldn't find much information about red whiptail catfish. How big do they get? Are they suitable in a community tank?

Last edited:
The red whiptail is probably L010A. Look it up. What are the dimensions of the 18 gallon? They get about 4-5" but should have some good floor space to move around. They'd be fine with shrimp.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think a BN is a bit big for an 18g tank. Also, they don't eat a lot of algae when they get bigger.
My BN totally ignore my shrimp and they are definitely not scared of him, quite the reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you're looking for a fish just to clean algae just keep up on the tank and you shouldn't have a huge algae problem. Otos are kind of difficult to acclimate and most people report that they randomly die a month later, plus they require a ton of algae.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom