Red Wiggler earthworms as food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshbay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just joined...first post. Glad to be here.

From what I've read, earthworms are great food for freshwater tanks...either just dropping them in the tank if the fish are big enough to eat them...or chopping them finely for smaller fish.

I'm setting up a fish room with a bunch of smaller tanks to raise both show guppies and cory catfish. If I end up with 50 or so tanks with F1, F2, etc along with breeder tanks, that means a lot of chopping and small amounts for each tank. Chopping them sounds like more work than is perhaps needed.

What I haven't seen discussed is just tossing a bunch of red wiggler earthworms in a blender (I know...yuck...THAT blender would have only one purpose...lol) and then using an eye dropper or whatever works to put some of the paste in the tanks.

I did read one place...but nowhere else...that red wigglers can be a problem because they give off some kind of pheremone when threatened that can cause gastric disorder to the fish. But I've never confirmed it.

I don't know...brine shrimp can be raised easy enough...but they are really expensive compared to red wigglers which are a one-time expense and breed really fast. A shelf of 15 or so shoe-box or slightly larger containers can make a whole lot of red wigglers...I mean a whole lot. And it also seems to me that cory's and guppies in the wild don't get brine shrimp..but they probably get a worm every so often.

Anybody have any experience using red wigglers with corys and guppies?

Welcome to AA Freshbay. I've fed plenty of red wigglers in my time, but never to corys and guppies. Mostly I've them to larger cichlids and larger catfish.

Fish are opportunistic feeders and most will eat what's available to them. The most natural food for guppies would be insect larvae. Corys do love worms but they would have to be an eatable size. Live CBW seems like a better choice to me.

I'll agree with that. I feed earthworms to my frogs and newts, but whenever I've chopped them up and tried to feed them to my fish (including guppies, mollies and a goldfish) the pieces are still too big for any fish but the goldfish. My corys grab them but can't do much with them because of their size. I'd also suggest California black worms. I've been trying to find some for cheap but haven't had any luck finding any under $40.

Back
Top Bottom