redirecting filter intake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
has anybody ever redirected their filter intake? Is it possible, will it work? I have a 5gal heavily planted and it seems that the filter intake and impeller get clogged to easily on my aquaclear 20 HOB filter. I was wondering it i could stick an appropriate sized peice of tubing on over the intake, and bury the tube under the gravel where it would lead to the front of the aquarium where there are not as many plants. I would cover the end of the tube with mesh. Do you think this would work. I am just tired of having to take apart my filter every week.

I have the same type of filter. I didn't redirect it, but I did put a cylindrical foam "pre-filter" over the intake. Like one you would have for an undergravel filter. It increases the surface area over which the suction is distributed and prevents large chunks from going into the filter. Every now and then you just put your net under it and pull the whole tube assembly up and out. All the stuff that has accumulated on it falls into the net. Then you rinse the foam like you would your internal foam filters.

I originally did it for the sake of little molly and platy fry that were cruising around.

Back
Top Bottom