Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

redoing a 18 gallon tank

i am re doing a 18 gallon tank want it to look real natural ahve any ideas for themes and fish types to add. any help would be appreciated

Old 03-31-2004, 12:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's a few people that are trying southwest themes, I haven't seen any pics yet but they sound interesting. I definitely prefer the "natural" look... To make it look real natural I'd have at least a few plants in there(live of course), maybe some driftwood and rocks... I'd also look for a natural substrate, not that colored gravel. themes and fish... it's a little hard for me to comment on because my taste could be way different than yours... Have you had any ideas yet as to a theme or are there any fish that you are really interested in? I'm thinking some plants and driftwood, maybe some khuli loaches... hmmmmm...... there are just too many ideas in my head now... you could have a hawaian theme with some lava rock or something and "mount wannahackalugie", you could do a tropical ilsand theme with sand as a substrate and a coconut shell decoration... lots of options... sounds like fun... just make sure it's something you will enjoy...

Old 04-01-2004, 12:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What type of tank do you want in terms of fish? Community, species...? What's your water pH and hardness from the tap? What are the dimensions of your tank? What kind of fish are you currently keeping? Do you want more of the same types, or something different. It's so hard to tell others what to get. I know what I would get, but I don't know your preferences.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Millipede is right! Theme tanks are real cute..... and can still look natural. How a bout a sunken aztec city with small SA spoecies to swim around it?
Or fallen Atlantis with smaller salties (or salty look alikes)?
Or mangrove bog with those fake roots from petsmart (made fish safe by filling the mold and filing suspicious holes), let it become murky abnd blackwater and put colorful low ph stuff..or opposite brackish fish like mollies.
Sunken treasure ship with shark shaped fish including cleaner cats. Or tiger botia.! an 18 is going to keep you down to about 15-18 fish depending on sizes and tempermemnts. So run with the decor!

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com