redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I am pretty sure that I will be doing a 20g freshwater, and am very excited. There is still a chance this could change, but it most likely won't. :) I plan to purchase the 20g long from Petco while their dollar per gallon sale is going on. I also plan on getting a stand from them. I think I want black sand as the substrate, but I am not sure if I want to use real plants.

What I am not as sure about when it comes to this fish tank is the equipment that I will need.

I know I will need a filter, but I am not sure how powerful mine should be.

As far as lighting, what would I need to possibly do some easy-care plants? (If I decide to do planted)

As far as fish, I am not sure what I want yet. Could I get a German Blue Ram (after the tank has been established for a few months first, of course :))? I also know that I would like a school of Cories. Other than that, I am not sure. Maybe some Tetras? Suggestions would be great!

That is all for now, thanks for reading! :dance:

I did my planted with black beauty...it is for diamond blasting/sand blasting things. $8 will get you 50 lbs at Tractor supply. I like it, it is semi-fine (20/50 if I remember right) and sparkles. My Cory cats keep it clean. There are many threads/tanks using it for years, I've had it for three months. The fish look amazing with the dark substrate.

HI, dollar per gallon is only for 7 more days. Just do it! haha. I really like the 20 long I think it is good choice. I have had really good luck with the Aqueon brand power filters. I would suggest getting the Quietflow 30. They are very quiet and mine has been very reliable. The Aquaclear 30 is also a great filter. It makes a little bit more noise than the Aqueon but you can get a really great selection of media to go inside it. The aqueon just uses a floss/carbon cartridge. For lighting you could get a dual T5 fixture. There are a ton of them out there.

I would suggest doing some sort of sand substrate if you want cories. They love to dig around and gravel can sometimes hurt their barbels. You should be able to keep a single blue ram in a 20L also.

HI, dollar per gallon is only for 7 more days. Just do it! haha. I really like the 20 long I think it is good choice. I have had really good luck with the Aqueon brand power filters. I would suggest getting the Quietflow 30. They are very quiet and mine has been very reliable. The Aquaclear 30 is also a great filter. It makes a little bit more noise than the Aqueon but you can get a really great selection of media to go inside it. The aqueon just uses a floss/carbon cartridge. For lighting you could get a dual T5 fixture. There are a ton of them out there.

I would suggest doing some sort of sand substrate if you want cories. They love to dig around and gravel can sometimes hurt their barbels. You should be able to keep a single blue ram in a 20L also.

Great! Thanks for the info. The 30 after the filter name means they are good up to thirty gallons, correct? That is good because I want to get a filter that is more powerful than ones rated for twenty gallons (just for a healthier tank).

Speaking of filters, what would you recommend putting in them as media?

I think I am going to go with black sand, so the Cories should be happy. :)

Another type of fish that I like are Platies. :) I love how active they are, and the variations in color. :)

Thanks!

Just curious, how come you changed your reef?

Too much work with two little boys! Now that I changed, I realized I was stressed out so much about the fish and creatures because they came from the ocean. I learned a lot but I will enjoy the ocean creatures much more at the aquarium. I'm really enjoying the planted and it is much easier than salt!

Too much work with two little boys! Now that I changed, I realized I was stressed out so much about the fish and creatures because they came from the ocean. I learned a lot but I will enjoy the ocean creatures much more at the aquarium. I'm really enjoying the planted and it is much easier than salt!

I don't blame you! I am excited to embark on this freshwater adventure, and the perk of being easier than saltwater is great too! :) (Since I had 204 gallons in total of saltwater tanks in the house a few months ago) :)

Yeah the 30 is just how many gallons the tank should work on. Their actual claimed flow rates are: 200gph for the Aqueon and 150gph for the Aquaclear. Either of these will be turning over your tank volume enough times per hour. You could probably get away with the 20 gallon versions of these but at just $2-3 more Id get the larger. The aqueon uses the same filter catridge anyway. If you decide to do the aquaclear you have the ability to stack your choice of 3 medias. It comes standard with foam, carbon, and bio media. If you aren't a fan of carbon you could run the foam and double stack biomedia.

Here is a pic of my 20 with black sand. I really like it. It makes everything really pop.
img_2280032_0_ee5fa2842f6ec276d78a08dc4229edc3.jpg

Hi everyone!
Do I have to use RO/DI water for a freshwater aquarium?

I was at two fish stores tonight, and had a great time looking at the fish. I can't wait to get some of my own! :)

Hi everyone!
Do I have to use RO/DI water for a freshwater aquarium?

I was at two fish stores tonight, and had a great time looking at the fish. I can't wait to get some of my own! :)
Hey Redsea, so you did decide to go ahead..On the filters, i can't give you brand names(my location!!) but maybe you should consider a external canister filter. I find them so much easier to clean/maintain. Also you can customize your media..Remove bioballs/ceramic rings and replace with Seachem Matrix. Remove one of the filter sponges and polishing pads and replace with filter floss(cheaper than buying new pads). I buy cheap bed pillows(about $1) and use the filling, one pillow will last me well over a year..
On the flow rate, i believe it should be at least 6x the tank size eg, 20g=120gph. Obviously, the more the merrier..Most come with adjustable flow rates..
Imo, Seachem Purigen is a must. Your water will be crystal clear. One 100g bag will do up to 400ltrs. Not sure of the price over there, but i know it's not expensive(compared to what i pay!!)..Also it can be repeatedly recharged.
I don't have an RO unit but they are not essential for freshwater. I think you have to add lost minerals to the tank when using one. I'm sure someone will answer that one better for you...Hope this helps..Ian
PS..Excuse me if it's a dumb question, but when you say a $1 a gallon, are you getting a 20g for $20???

Its kind of going to depend on what fish you want and the hardness of your tap water. In general though most freshwater fish are fine with dechlorinated tap water.

PS..Excuse me if it's a dumb question, but when you say a $1 a gallon, are you getting a 20g for $20???

Yep, there is a store (a chain store, really) here called Petco, which has a dollar per gallon sale a few times a year. There are a few tank sizes you can get with the deal, and 20g is one of them. :)

I am so excited, I am most likely getting the tank tonight or tomorrow. There is a chance that we go on Friday though.

Any recommendations on where to go to learn more? I love reading and learning about fish, and I don't know a whole lot about freshwater fish. :)

I am not sure how I am going to cycle this tank yet. There are quite a few options. I am almost considering fish in cycling. If I did, could I add a fish like a Platy, and then do something like 50% water changes twice a week?

I am not sure how I am going to cycle this tank yet. There are quite a few options. I am almost considering fish in cycling. If I did, could I add a fish like a Platy, and then do something like 50% water changes twice a week?
Hey Redsea, i also used the fish in cycling. I used 8 Zebra Danios,hard as nails and ALL still alive. I have a 55g, and i changed 30% every other day...Have you got a liquid test kit??

Okay, I got the tank and stand at Petco on Friday night! :) I also got a heater, filter, etc. :)

I am now in search of some Eco-Complete, and then I can hopefully start up the tank soon thereafter.

Back
Top Bottom