Redtail & Rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jman17H

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have 4 tanks set up and will be upgrading to a 150 gallon in the next few weeks and probably tearing down at least 2-20's and maybe turning a 75 into a african cichlid tank with my 30 gal staying a planted tank.

Main question: Does anyone have experience keeping a rainbow shark and redtail shark together in a large tank. The new setup will be a 150 gallon planted breeder tank with driftwood and rock formations. Footrpint of 6'x2'. I have read that in larger tanks you may be able to manage the 2 together but the last thing I want to do is put them together and then have to go swimming to catch one or the other after they start fighting it out. They are both probably 3-4 inches at this point.

Any experienced recommendations would be great

I really wouldn't go with that option. RTBS are very territorial, and it's likely going to hunt down the redfinned (rainbow) until it's killed it (either directly, or by stressing it so much).
I'd go with one of one or the other, but definitely not both and definitely not two of either.

I have 2 rainbow sharks in my 55G, and they do very well together. But I definitely would not put my red tail in with them. That's just asking for a slaughter. The red tail would kill them both off. The Rainbows are aggressive, but not as aggressive as a full grown red tail. I'm currently trying to get rid of my red tail, have an ad down at the lfs. He's just too aggressive for my 75G setup, and has been really hard on the Bolivians. In a large tank like the 150G, you could probably get away with having 3 or posibly 4 rainbows, but that would be max. Their territories are smaller than the red tails. The red tail will claim the whole tank.

ok, so basically I need to pick one to go to my 150 and leave the other guy alone.

The redtail is definetly more aggresive and I had to remove him from a tank with a black ghost knife at one point. He seems to not get alone with anyone who even remotely resembles him so how would he do with 3 blue botias? Of course they are not black but they do have a similar colored red tail?

My red tail doesn't like any bottom dwellers, my Bolivians, cories, otos, etc. Just has a plain old BAD ATTITUDE. LOL. It's why I want to get rid of mine.

Back
Top Bottom