Redtail shark food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FoxRaid

Aquarium Advice Activist
So far ive been feeding my fish flakes and hikari wafers. I have not seen the shark going for the flakes however. Everynow nd then she will go eat from the wafer. Is this okay for her to eat or can she get sick? Also is there any food i can get at walmart for her (fish food, not a vegetable ect...)? Id hate to drive 30 minutes to petsmart when walmart is right beside where I live.

Walmart carries very low grade products such as Wardleys or Tetra, I would either order a quality pellet such as New Life Spectrum from Amazon or make the trip to Petsmart and pick up some Omega One pellets. The ingredient list in Wardleys or Tetra is very typical low end food which uses alot of grains such as corn, wheat, and oat flour which serves as low grade proteins, fillers, and binding agents. Look at their list and then compare to NLS which uses actual whole Antarctic krill and whole hearing instead of fish meal which utilizes all the left over parts from other industries rather than the whole fish. The type and origin of proteins will have a drastic effect in digestion and overall fish health.

NLS:
Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Mussel Meal, Algae Meal, Garlic, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear), Ginseng, Vitamin A Acetate D-Activated Animal Sterol (D3), Vitamin B 12 supplement , Thiamine, Biotin, DL-Alphatocophero (E), Riboflavin Supplement , Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate , Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate.

Tetra:
fish meal, dried yeast, ground brown rice, shrimp meal, wheat gluten, feeding oat meal, fish oil, potato protein, dehulled soybean meal, soybean oil, algae meal, sorbitol, lecithin, monobasic calsium phosphate, ascorbic acid (source of vit. C), yeast extract, inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-poolyphosphate, riboflavin-5-phosphate (source of vit. B2), A-tocopherol-acetate (source of vit. E), D-calcium pantothenate, thiamin mononitrate (source of vit. B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vit. B6), vitamin A palmitate (source of vit. A), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vit. K), biotin, cyanocobalamin (source of vit.B12), cholecalciferol (source of vit. D3), manganese sulfate monohydrate, zinc sulfate monohydrate, ferrous sulfate monohydrate, cobalt nitrate hexahydrate.

Now simply compare the first 5 ingredients, then continue on comparing line by line and you'll see a clear winner.

With regards to the Hikari wafers they really don't contain much in regards to algae so they are more than fine for any fish to eat them without harm.

Agreed, I only buy New Life Spectrum and will never buy another brand of food again. Also, your shark is a (mostly) nocturnal scavenger and will eat leftover food and detritus off the gravel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom