Reducing Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, I just had a question on "other" options to reduce Nitrates. I've done several large water changes (2 weeks in a row I did 50% weekly water changes) and my Nitrates are still between 40ppm-80ppm. I have a 29G planted tank, with real wood and real rock and 1 ornament. I also have 2 moss balls in there since I hear they are good at reducing Nitrates. When doing my water changes I have even cleaned out my Aqua clear sponge and carbon (I left the biomax portion alone) and I also just recently added a Fluval 306 to it as well (two weeks ago). I even did a good deep clean of my gravel on the last WC, but two days later, I take another water sample and boom! 40-80ppm. It's a miracle my fish aren't dying yet. My ammonia and Nitrites are 0ppm. Do I have to remove all my wood and larger rock and really get into the nooks and crannies? Or am I overstocked? My stocking is:

Red Tailed Shark (Max size 4")
South American Convict Cichlid (Max size 8")
Pictus Catfish (Max Size 5")
Albino Bristlenose Plecostamus (Max size 4 1/2")
Ghost Catfish (Max size 4")
Danio (Max size 2")
Glofish Tetra (Max size 2")

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hello everyone, I just had a question on "other" options to reduce Nitrates. I've done several large water changes (2 weeks in a row I did 50% weekly water changes) and my Nitrates are still between 40ppm-80ppm. I have a 29G planted tank, with real wood and real rock and 1 ornament. I also have 2 moss balls in there since I hear they are good at reducing Nitrates. When doing my water changes I have even cleaned out my Aqua clear sponge and carbon (I left the biomax portion alone) and I also just recently added a Fluval 306 to it as well (two weeks ago). I even did a good deep clean of my gravel on the last WC, but two days later, I take another water sample and boom! 40-80ppm. It's a miracle my fish aren't dying yet. My ammonia and Nitrites are 0ppm. Do I have to remove all my wood and larger rock and really get into the nooks and crannies? Or am I overstocked? My stocking is:

Red Tailed Shark (Max size 4")
South American Convict Cichlid (Max size 8")
Pictus Catfish (Max Size 5")
Albino Bristlenose Plecostamus (Max size 4 1/2")
Ghost Catfish (Max size 4")
Danio (Max size 2")
Glofish Tetra (Max size 2")

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Forgot to add that I also have a Hydro IV Sponge filter (It's pretty new still so there has not been a need to clean that yet)

You are def overstocked .. The convict alone needs 30 gallon. Most of the fish you mentioned have big bio loads as well..

Btw, the reason your fish aren't dying is bc nitrates are much more tolerable and not as toxic to them as ammo or nitrites.

You are def overstocked .. The convict alone needs 30 gallon. Most of the fish you mentioned have big bio loads as well..

Are you saying my 29G tank can only house 1 Convict and absolutely nothing else????

Btw, the reason your fish aren't dying is bc nitrates are much more tolerable and not as toxic to them as ammo or nitrites.

I understand this as well, but I was told on this forum that it was recommended to have Nitrates at 30ppm MAX. So I wanted to see what I could do. Thanks for the FYI though.

You can run your current stock on aqadvisor and find out how over stocked you are. I haven't run it but with your stock I would recommend doing around 2-3 50% water changes a week. Or rehoming your current stock and finding fish better suited to your size tank.

Are you saying my 29G tank can only house 1 Convict and absolutely nothing else????

No, but a 8" convict with several 4" to 5" fish is overstocking. Your convict with most things in a 29 gal will end up bad bc of aggression issues and lack of space. It's not a scientific fact, just my opinion on what I think :)

If anyone is still following this forum, I believe I found the culprit. I removed my ornament, and some pieces of wood and rock and found that there was a nice rotting dead fish(a danio) and a nice big pile of fish waste. I vacuumed about 5 gallons of that stuff out and my water looked black! One would not think that is an issue, because my aquarium looks crystal clear until you lift some things up. 2 hours after doing a 34% WC (10 gallons), I took another water sample and my Nitrates are at 5ppm-10ppm. Problem solved and lesson learned. I'll take everything everyone said about my overstocking into consideration and I'll be testing the water again next week. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom