reef back to fresh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alf2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all Im new here... I am moving my reef tank back to a smaller tank (30 gal) Was wondering if I can use my pc lights on a fresh water. Im not new to fresh water. I have a 55 gal that was a fresh water before it bacame a reef. Now i want it back... fresh that is I miss my angel fish! :lol: Well anyway I use to use a plain ole shop lite. But since i have the 4 65 watt pcs was just wondering if I could use them on the fresh? I like a lot of plants also in the fresh water tank. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks alf2

What kind of lighting are you gonna use over the now 30 gal reef? I am guessing that you have PC lights over that tank also?

One think to note when switching the reef is that you try not to photoshock the corals that you have by different lighting type/intensity.

Now on to the question. Sure I see no problem with using the PC light for a fresh tank. I suspect you will have great success growing plants under such light. Not sure on the actinic benifits in a freshwater tank as I myself dont know much about planted tanks.

When it comes time to replace the bubls you may benifit more from a 5500K bulb than a different spectrium as I understand 5500K is the closest to natural sunlight.

Well my husband won out! I'm keeping my reef going after all... :oops: So Now I'm going to use the 30 gal for my FW. Thanks for the answers and yes I do have the pcs over the 30 also.
Alf2

Well personally I have to agree with your husband. After all keeping the 55 as is and making an empty 30 gal into a freshy tank is alot less work that moving a 55 reef to a 30 and then seting the 55 up for freshy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom